Rava ladoo recipe or suji ladoo recipe – A quick sweet recipe that is made with only a few ingredients like semolina, coconut, sugar, nuts and ghee/milk. A beginners recipe and needs no expertise. This ladoo can also be made without coconut, but the addition of dried coconut (copra) adds a very good aroma to the rava ladoo. But fresh coconut or desiccated coconut can also be used.
To make rava laddu recipe , i used ghee for binding. You can also use milk. But the taste differs entirely. If using milk for binding, i suggest making it fresh and use it with in few hours or refrigerate and use within a day.
Rava ladoo recipe or suji ladoo recipe
- 1 ¼ cup rava / semolina (refer notes)
- ¼ cup coconut (optional)
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 to 3 green cardamoms / elaichi
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp ghee
- raisins and cashew nuts as needed
- Roast rava until it begins to smell nice. Set aside to cool.
- Dry roast coconut as well until aromatic.
- Powder sugar along with cardamoms.
- Add rava and blend together once more.
- Fry nuts raisins in hot ghee.
- Add them to the blended mixture. Add ghee as needed and mix.
- Take small portions of the mix and roll to balls.
- Store rava ladoo in air tight jar.
If not using coconut, you can use 1 ½ cup rava alone.
you can also use 1 cup rava and ½ cup coconut.
How to make rava ladoo recipe (suji ladoo)
1. Dry roast 1 ¼ cup semolina/ suji/ rava on a medium heat until it begins to smell good. It has to turn crunchy as well. Set this aside to cool completely.
2. If using coconut, dry roast ¼ cup until it turns aromatic. Set this aside as well to cool.
3. Add ¾ cup sugar to a blender along with 2 to 3 green cardamoms.
4. Make a fine powder.
5. Add cooled rava and coconut to the same jar. You can also skip blending coconut, but blended coconut makes the rava laddu fragrant.
6. Blend it to suit your liking. I like to make it fine. A fine mixture needs less ghee for binding. Transfer the mix to a bowl.
7. Heat ¼ cup plus 2 tbsp ghee in a pot. Add cashews and fry them until golden. Switch off the stove and add raisins.
8. Transfer cashews, raisins to the rava mixture. Retain 2 tbsp. ghee in the pot and pour the rest to the bowl. Make sure the ghee is hot when you add it to the mix, this helps to bind well with lesser ghee.
9. Stir and mix well. Begin to shape small portions of mix to balls. After half the quantity is done, you may need to add more ghee. Then add up the rest of the ghee little by little. Make sure the ghee is little hot. Do not add the entire ghee at one time, use it only a little when needed.
Store rava ladoo in air tight jar and use with in 2 weeks. Handle with moist free hands for longer shelf life.