Red sauce pasta recipe – Pasta in red sauce recipe. Healthy & delicious kids’ friendly pasta that can be made for after school or dinner. An easy idea to include tomatoes and red bell pepper in your kids’ diet. Pasta in red sauce recipe is usually made using only tomatoes. Mostly canned tomatoes or tomato paste/ puree is used to get the bright color. The red sauce I have made for this pasta recipe needs red bell pepper along with tomatoes, But can be substituted with onions. For variation you can also check this vegetable pasta in red sauce.
Making this recipe entirely using only tomatoes will make it very tangy so I have used bell peppers. If you are looking for ideas to include bell pepper in your diet, then surely this is a good one. Earlier I have also made this with chicken and shrimps too. It tastes great that way too. Details included in the notes at the end of this post.
Roasting the tomatoes before blending makes this pasta more flavorful and delicious.
You may like to check these top 10 pasta recipes.
Red sauce pasta recipe for toddlers & kids
- 1 ½ cups pasta (any)
- 2 to 3 tbsp olive oil
- salt as needed
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped onions
- 1 ½ cups ripe red tomatoes chopped (de seeded)
- 1 ¼ cup bell peppers/ capsicum or ½ to ¾ cup onions
- ½ to 1 tsp red chili flakes (adjust as needed)
- ½ to 1 tsp oregano
- freshly crushed pepper for garnish
- Roast onions or bell peppers in 1 tbsp oil for 2 mins. Transfer to a plate to cool.
- Roast tomatoes until mushy for about 3 mins. Cool this as well.
- Blend them together to a puree. Set aside.
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Cook pasta with salt until al dente (just cooked)
- Drain off and rinse them. Drain in a colander. Set aside.
- Heat the same pan with more oil and fry garlic and chili flakes until aromatic.
- Add onions and saute until golden.
- Pour the puree and add salt. Mix well and cook until it reaches a desired consistency. Make sure the sauce is not watery. Taste the sauce and adjust salt as needed. Add oregano.
- Off the stove and add the pasta. Toss well until mixed.
- Serve hot.
If using chicken: Cook 150 grams of boneless chicken separately until tender, shred and then add it after sauteing garlic, onions.
How to make red sauce pasta recipe
1. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil and saute bell peppers on a high flame just for 2 mins. You can also skip bell peppers and use onion. The taste would be different but good. Set them aside to cool.
2. To the same pan, add deseeded ripe tomatoes and saute for 2 to 3 mins.
3. Tomatoes must turn soft. Add red chili flakes as needed. Set this aside to cool.
4. When cooled, add them to a blender jar.
5. Blend to a smooth or coarse paste. We prefer smooth. Set this aside.
6. While you make the sauce, you can bring 2 liters water to a boil in a large pot. Add salt as needed.
7. When the water comes to a boil, add pasta. Cook al dente following the instructions on the pack.
8. Drain off in a colander and rinse to remove extra starch.
9. Put back the same pan on the stove with another 1 tbsp oil. When hot saute garlic and red chili flakes until they turn fragrant.
10. Add chopped onions.
11. Saute until the raw smell goes away.
12. Add the puree and salt. Mix and cook on a medium heat until the sauce thickens.
13. This is the consistency i prefer, you can even take off a little earlier. Add oregano. Mix well. Off the stove.
14. Add the cooked pasta. I prefer another tbsp olive oil now. This is optional.
15. Saute until well combined.
Add crushed pepper. Serve pasta in red sauce hot.