Sabudana vada recipe with step by step photos. – A popular maharashtrian snack made using sago/tapioca pearls also known as sabudana, javvarisi, saggubiyyam or sabbaki in other Indian languages. Sabudana vada is also served during fastings or Upvas/ Vrat especially during Navratri. Sabudana khichdi and sabudana kheer are other foods made during fasting. These sabudana vada turn out delicious, crunchy on the outer side and are soft inside.
Step by step photos on how to make sabudana vada recipe
1. Wash and soak half cup sabudana in water for about 2 to 4 hours.
2. Drain up the water completely. They double in size after soaking.
3. Dry roast 1/4 cup peanuts until golden.
4. Cool them completely and make a coarse powder. I removed the skin partially.
5. Peel the skin and cube 2 medium sized potatoes. They must come up to at least 1 heaped cup. Boil them. Do not make them mushy. Drain any excess water or evaporate.
6. Mash them.
7. To the bowl of sabudana, add ground peanuts, mashed potato, jeera, chopped green chilies, chopped coriander leaves, lemon juice and powdered rock salt.
8. Mix everything well.
9. Make 10 to 12 equal sized balls from the dough.
10. Grease your palm and flatten the balls gently to give the shape of a vada. If they break towards the edges, you can just stick them back. Place them in a plate or foil.
11. Heat oil in a pan. Deep fry them.
12. Fry until golden on both the sides.
Serve with green chutney or farali chutney.
- ½ cup sabudana
- 1 heaped cup potatoes cubed or 2 medium potatoes
- ¼ cup peanuts
- 1 tbsp. chopped coriander leaves
- ½ tsp cumin/ jeera
- 1 to 2 green chilies chopped
- powdered rock salt as needed
- 1.5 tsps lemon juice
- Wash and soak sabudana for 2 to 4 hours. Drain them completely.
- Roast peanuts and powder them coarsely.
- Boil potatoes and mash them.
- Mix together sabudana, mashed potato, peanuts, green chili, salt, cumin and coriander leaves. Add lemon juice and mix well.
- Make 10 to 12 balls and then flatten to make the patties or vada.
- Deep fry in hot oil until golden.
- Drain and serve with chutney.