carrot payasam or carrot kheer recipe – one of the variety kheer that I have been making for my kids since they were 10 months old. This is not any baby food but certainly tastes great to prepare on any occasions.
Carrots are high in fiber and hence when made to a carrot kheer, it looks curdled. So it is best to cook it with a starchy ingredient. Hence I choose to use sabudana also called as Tapioca pearls, sago or saggubiyam in telugu, sabakki in kannada, javvarisi in tamil. These are used widely to make pudding or kheer/payasam.
They can be used to make baby and toddler foods too. They are high in carbs and lacks other nutrients in them. So the best way is to combine them with other nutritious vegetables and cook.
carrot payasam makes a very good breakfast for toddlers and kids. Consuming this regularly, kids become energetic and healthy. I have used milk, if your kid has allergies, you can prepare this even with plain water. The taste doesn’t differ much.
If making for babies, use jaggery that is free from impurities else melt the jaggery in water. Filter to remove impurities and boil till it thickens. Cool it completely. After it cools you can mix it with the kheer. If you pour hot jaggery syrup in the kheer, it will curdle.
step by step photos on carrot kheer or carrot payasam
find carrot payasam or carrot kheer recipe below
- 1 cup chopped tender carrots
- 6 to 8 blanched soaked almonds (optional)
- 1 cup full fat milk
- 1 cup water
- Few strands of saffron (optional)
- Pinch of cardamom powder
- 2 tbsp. sadubana or sago or javvarisi
- Sugar or palm sugar or jaggery (as needed)
- 2 tsp. ghee
- Few pista or cashews as needed
- This step is optional. Soak almonds for few hours and remove the skin.
- Grind carrot, almonds if using, saffron and cardamom powder with milk to smooth consistency. Set aside.
- Wash and cook sabudana in water till they turn translucent.
- Add the carrot milk and cook on a medium flame till it begins to bubble up.
- Add sugar or palm sugar, mix and switch off. Do not overcook after adding carrot.
- Fry nuts in ghee and pour it to the payasam.
- Serve warm or chilled. Add more milk to adjust the consistency.
more kheer recipes,