javvarisi payasam recipe that can be made on any festival or a busy day. It can be made using jaggery or sugar, the method is the same for both. I had made this during Ganesh Chaturthi thought of sharing it here for the coming festive season.
These were the quick naivedyams i offered on the second day of ganesh puja. Sesame seeds peanut ladoo , bellam kudumulu , chalimidi vadapappu and sago payasam
For those who do not know what Sago is, it has different names sabudana, saggubiyam and javarisi in various Indian languages. It is high in carbohydrates and lacks other nutrients. It can be a quick energy booster for people low on energy levels, but is not a good choice for folks on low carbs diet. Sago is used for making kheer, khichdi, porridge and even baby foods.
step by step pictures on javvarisi payasam recipe
To make this sagubiyyam payasam or javvarisi payasam, I cook sago in water till translucent, add milk and simmer further to thicken and then add grated jaggery. If jaggery has impurities, it has to be melted first with few tbsp. water, filter and then boiled till it thickens. This thick jaggery syrup is added to the cooked sago milk. It is not cooked further to prevent curdling.
find javvarisi payasam recipe | saggubiyyam payasam (sago payasam)
- ½ cup sagubiyam, sago, javarisi
- 1 to 1 ¼ cup jaggery or sugar or palm jaggery
- 3 cups milk
- 1 ½ cups water
- ¼ tsp. cardamom powder
- Nuts and raisins as needed
- 1 tbsp. ghee
- Wash sago well in lot of water. Some variety of sago needs to be soaked for about 30 to 50 minutes.
- Cook it in water till translucent. They must be cooked fully.
- Add milk and simmer further for the payasam to thicken. Keep stirring to prevent burning
- When the payasam thickens, add grated jaggery or sugar and cardamom powder. Alternately you can make a jaggery syrup and add to the payasam. The payasam thickens as it cools down.
- Switch off the stove and stir well for the jaggery to melt well. Do not cook after adding jaggery the payasam can curdle
- Fry nuts and raisins in ghee and add to the payasam.