Spicy egg fried rice recipe – This quick flavorful and spicy egg rice is perfect for dinner during winters. I am just sharing the basic method and can easily be adapted to make a variety of fried rice using minced chicken or fish or prawns. Whatever you make it with, sure it’s going to be a quick fix dinner that tastes amazingly delicious. There is also a simple egg fried rice recipe on the blog, but the one shared now is a different one.
Just like any other fried rice recipes, the flavor, taste and nutrition is best with the use of olive oil, spring onions, capsicum, cabbage, onions and celery. But feel free to skip whatever you don’t have and it’s still going to taste good like mine.
I have used schezwan peppers to add flavor to this spicy egg fried rice, if you do not have it just skip or substitute with coarsely crushed regular pepper corn. If you have the ready schezwan sauce, then use it after step 4 and skip the next 4 steps.
For more quick dinner recipes, you can check this post on top 10 rice recipes under 30 mins.
Spicy schezwan egg fried rice recipe below
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 to 1.5 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup long grain rice
- 1 small onion sliced
- 1 sprig of spring onions
- handful of cabbage chopped (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- Handful of bell peppers
- 2 to 3 schezwan peppers
- ¾ to 1 tsp red chilli paste or powder
- Salt as needed
- 1 tsp soya sauce
- ¾ tsp vinegar
- ½ tsp sugar
- Pepper as needed
- 1 to 2 green chilies (optional)
- Soak washed rice for 20 mins. Cook until grainy or al dente without making mushy. You can also use precooked rice. Make sure the rice is cooled completely.
- Heat oil in a pan, saute mace, star anise if using along with garlic.
- When it smells good, add onions, chili, schezwan peppers and saute until golden.
- Add red chili paste. If you do not have chili paste, stir red chili powder in 1 to 1.5 tbsps water. Add that to the pan along with soya sauce, vinegar and sugar.
- Cook until it reaches a thick saucy consistency. Oil begins to separate.
- Add spring onion whites, capsicum and cabbage.
- Saute well for 2 to 3 mins or until the veggies are half cooked.
- Pour the beaten egg and stir. Cook until the egg is soft cooked.
- Add rice, pepper powder and spring onion greens.
- Mix together and fry for 2 mins.
- Serve spicy egg fried rice hot or warm.
How to make spicy egg fried rice
1. Wash and soak long grain rice for about 20 mins. Any fragrant long grain rice go well to make this. Cook al dente or to grainy without making mushy. I used half cup rice and cooked in 2 cups water in a pot. Drained off the rice when it cooked al dente (just cooked). Cool this completely. While the rice cooks you can chop the veggies and beat the eggs.
2. This one and the next steps are optional. But this yields fluffy egg in the rice. Break the egg to a bowl.
3. Beat with a fork until bubbly.
4. Put on the flame to high. Heat 1 to 1.5 tbsp oil in a pan. Add a single strand of mace and a small piece of star anise. These are optional but add a great flavor to the rice. Saute along with garlic until they smell good.
5. Add finely chopped or thinly sliced onions along with slightly crushed 3 to 4 schezwan peppers. Saute until they turn golden. While the onions fry, keep the chilli paste ready. I make my chilli paste by mixing up 3/4 tsp kashmiri chilli powder with 1 to 1.5 tbsp water. You can also use any ready made chilli paste. Use only as needed.
6. Add the chilli paste, vinegar to the pan.
7. Add soya sauce.
8. Add sugar.
9. Mix everything and saute well until the oil separates.
10. Add all the chopped or julienned veggies. You can use spring onion whites, cabbage & capsicum. I did not have spring onions so didn’t use.
11. Saute just for 2 to 3 mins until the sauce blends with veggies well. Do not over cook to retain them crunchy.
12. Reduce the flame to medium and pour the beaten eggs.
13. Stir well and cook until the eggs are done.
14. Add rice, sprinkle salt, pepper powder.
15. Mix well. Increase the flame to high and fry for one to 2 mins. If using celery add it now.