semiya payasam recipe (vermicelli payasam ) is one of the easiest payasam recipe that can be prepared even by bachelors in just 20 minutes. Whether it is a festive occasion or a regular day, you can just prepare this easy Indian sweet dish to make your day special.
you can find more easy payasam recipes on the blog,
moong dal payasam
channa dal payasam
To make semiya payasam , vermicelli is cooked in milk and flavored with green cardamom powder or saffron and sugar or jaggery is added for the sweetness. This dish can be prepared with any kind of vermicelli that is available in the market. You could even choose roasted semiya that is readily available in the stores.
You can use jaggery instead of sugar , but after adding jaggery the payasam should not be cooked further to prevent curdling.
semiya payasam recipe in 20 minutes with step by step pictures
1. Heat a heavy bottom pan with ghee, add nuts and fry till golden, add raisins and sauté and set these aside
2. In the same pan, roast the semiya till slightly golden on a medium flame. If using very thin semiya, after frying keep it aside in a plate. I did not set aside since i used thick bambino semiya.
3.Pour the milk and water to the pot. Bring the milk to a boil on a low to medium flame. If you have set aside the semiya add it now. If you like to add sago/ sabudana/ saggubiyam you can add it as well now. Cook till the vermicelli is fully cooked. Keep stirring to prevent burning.
4. Add cardamom powder and sugar and continue to cook for about 3 to 5 mins on a low flame. If using jaggery, switch off the stove immediately after you add it to the semiya payasam. Cooking further will curdle.
5. Garnish with nuts and raisins
Serve warm or chilled
find semiya payasam recipe below
- ¾ cup of semiya or vermicelli
- ½ cup of sugar (adjust to suit your taste)
- ⅛ tsp. green cardamom powder (elaichi) or few strands of saffron
- 500 ml milk
- 200 ml water (you could substitute this with milk, if you desire a thick payasam)
- 2 tsp. ghee
- cashew nuts and raisins as needed
- Add ghee to a heavy bottom pot and heat up. Add cashews and fry till golden, add raisins and saute. Keep these aside to use for garnish.
- Add semiya to the same pan and roast till slightly golden on a low flame. If using very thin vermicelli set this aside in a bowl.
- Add milk and water to the pot. Let the milk boil on a low to medium flame. If the semiya was set aside add it now. Boil till the vermicelli is fully cooked. Keep stirring to prevent the payasam from burning.
- Add sugar and cardamom powder. Cook for 3 to 5 mins on a low flame for the semiya payasam to thicken.
- Garnish with fried nuts and raisins