We at my mom’s house, make this Senaga Pappu Payasam – Channa Dal Kheer on one of the navratris to offer to goddess. 3 main ingredients that go towards the making of this kheer are offered together in some form on one of these 9 days. The ingredients are channa dal, jaggery and coconut.
We make either this senaga pappu payasam or Poornam Boorelu (with coconut and dal) or a sweet dish made of the same ingredients similar to Pancha Kajjaya. Those who do not have any such custom of offering these 3 ingredients can slightly modify the list of ingredients and can make this payasam at your ease and choice.
If you are looking for more payasam or andhra festival recipes try
pesara pappu payasam
senaga pappu payasam recipe with step by step pictures
1. Wash and Soak channa dal for at least 45 minutes
2. Some sago needs to be soaked for longer. Some can be cooked instantly. So follow according to your sago. I cook instantly and it gets cooked well
3. Add 1/2 cup water to jaggery and melt it on a low flame
4. Filter the jaggery syrup to remove impurities
5. Boil the jaggery syrup on a low to medium flame for 2 to 3 mins or till it thickens slightly. Do not burn it.
6. Set this aside to cool completely. You can transfer this to a small bowl and cool it by keeping the bowl in ice cold water. This way it cools quickly
7. Add 1.5 cups of water to dal and cook it till it is half cooked.
8. Pour milk, add sago and cook till the sago and dal are fully cooked.
9. Add cardamom powder, cooled jaggery syrup and coconut. Mix to blend well and cook on a medium flame stirring till it begins to bubble up. If you want to adjust the consistency, you can add more milk at this stage.Takes around 3 to 5 mins to bubble up.
10. Ghee fry the nuts and add to the kheer. If you do not prefer to use nuts, just add a tbsp. of ghee.
Offer this to Goddess Durga and get her blessings.
senaga pappu payasam recipe below
- ⅓ cup chana dal / senga pappu / kadle bele
- ⅓ cup sago or roasted semiya or rice (if using rice tips at the end)
- ¾ cup grated jaggery
- 1.5 cups water
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ tsp cardamom
- 2 tbsps coconut (optional)
- ½ cup Water for Jaggery
- Nuts and raisins as needed
- Ghee to fry the nuts as needed
- Wash and Soak channa dal for at least 45 minutes.
- Soak sago in water as needed. Some need long soaking time.
- Add jaggery and ½ cup water to a pan, melt it on a low heat without burning. Filter the syrup and boil it for 2 to 3 minutes or till it becomes thick slightly. Cool this completely.
- Add dal and 1.5 cups of water to a heavy bottom pan and cook it till it is half done.
- Add milk, sago and cook till the sago and dal are fully cooked.
- Add cardamom powder, cooled jaggery syrup and coconut. Mix well and cook further on a medium flame. Stir well and allow it to bubble up. Do not cook for long it can curdle the payasam
- Fry nuts in ghee and add to the kheer
If you add hot jaggery syrup to the kheer, it will curdle, so cool it completely before you pour to the boiling kheer