Sesame seeds ladoo or til ladoo recipe with jaggery. These ladoo are prepared traditionally with jaggery or palm jaggery flavored lightly with cardamom powder. They are one of the best healthy Indian sweets for kids and adults too, that can be prepared at any time during festive season or as a snack for your kids school box or as an after school nutrition booster.
Sesame seeds are called as nuvvulu in telugu, ellu in kannada and til in hindi. They are a good source of calcium, Iron, magnesium and many other nutrients. For best absorption of nutrients by the body, sesame seeds must be consumed in ground or powdered form. These ladoos are one of the best and healthy ways to enjoy the seeds in ground form.
There are different varieties of white sesame seeds available in the market. Some taste bitter, so use the best quality ones that taste nutty and fresh without bitterness. You can replace jaggery with dates or coconut sugar or palm jaggery. Each lend a different taste and flavor.
I love to use a fistful of peanuts, you can make variations to this recipe by adding dry roasted desiccated coconut, oats , poppy seeds or cashews and almonds.
How to make sesame seeds ladoo or til ke ladoo
I dry roast the sesame seeds first, cool them and put them to a fine mess sieve to remove tiny particles of debris that usually come with sesame seeds. Powder them first and then add jaggery and cardamom powder to the same jar and blend well. Transfer to a plate, add roasted and skinned peanuts, mix and make ladoos. This recipe yields 12 medium sized balls.
sesame seeds ladoo or til ke ladoo recipe below
- 1 cup sesame seeds
- ⅛ tsp. cardamom powder
- Fistful of peanuts or almonds or cashews
- ½ cup grated jaggery or palm jaggery / sugar or chopped dates (can add few tbsps. more)
- Dry roast sesame seeds till you begin to get a nice aroma. Set these aside to cool.
- Meanwhile dry roast peanuts and cool them. Rub peanuts lightly with the bottom of a glass for the skin to become loose. Remove the skin and keep aside.
- Grind sesame seeds and jaggery together with cardamom powder to a fine powder
- Transfer this to a plate, add skinned peanuts and mix.
- Take small portions and roll them to balls
- Store sesame seeds ladoo in an air tight jar and handle with moist free hands.