sorakaya pappu is a simple dal dish that is prepared in most Andhra homes. Bottle gourd/ lauki and dal are cooked to make a nice tasting side dish. Traditionally it was made by cooking toordal, bottlegourd, tomato, tamarind, red chili powder and onions together and then tempered. The dal is not mashed and looks grainy in such recipe. But somehow we don’t like that kind of a dal and prefer to make a smoother dal that goes great with rice or even with phulka or any roti like ragi roti or multigrain roti.
sorakaya pappu is made with toor dal alone, but i don’t like the quality of toor dal available in Singapore, so I use a mixture of toor dal and moong dal, you can use any dal of your choice. Adding even little moong dal gives a good taste to the sorakaya pappu. You can even cook green chilies along with dal, but I add them during tempering, so that I can set aside my kids portion before adding chili.
Adding tamarind to the tempering gives a good tamarind flavour to the dal that doesn’t come when cooked together with dal.
related recipe : sorakaya kootu
sorakaya pappu or anapakaya pappu with step by step pictures
1. Pressure cook dal and anapakaya pieces with 1 1/2 cups water for 2 whistles.
2. When the pressure goes off, add salt and mash it.
3. Temper with tempering ingredients.
4. Pour the tamarind juice or paste to the pan and allow to bubble.Off the stove.
5. Add it to the anapakaya pappu and mix well. you can smell the tamarind so good.
find complete sorakaya pappu recipe below
- ¼ cup toor dal / kandi pappu
- ½ cup moong dal / pesara pappu
- 2 cups bottle gourd/ lauki/ sorakaya/ anapakaya
- Salt as needed
- Small ball of tamarind (adjust to suit your taste)
- Oil or ghee as needed (1 tbsp. is good enough)
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ½ tsp. cumin / jeera
- ½ tsp. mustard
- Pinch of hing
- ⅛ tsp. turmeric
- 3 green chilies
- 1 broken red chili
- ¼ tsp grated ginger
- 1 large crushed clove garlic
- Soak tamarind in hot water and set aside.
- Wash dal and add 1 ½ cups water to a pressure cooker or a pot. Begin to cook on a low flame till the sorakaya is chopped.
- Wash and peel the skin of sorakaya. Cube them.
- Add them to the dal. If you wish you can add green chilies too. On a low flame, pressure cook for 2 whistles if cooking directly in the cooker or for 3 to 4 whistles, if you are cooking in a bowl and placing it in the cooker.
- When the pressure goes off, Add salt and mash the dal with the back of the ladle. Set aside.
- Squeeze the tamarind pulp. Set this aside.
- Heat a pan with ghee or oil. Add mustard, cumin and red chili.
- When they splutter, add grated ginger, crushed garlic, green chili and then the curry leaves. Fry till you begin to get a good aroma.
- Add hing and turmeric.
- Pass the thick tamarind paste or juice thru the filter and add it to the pan, if you don’t mind you can add the pulp as it is. Let it begin to bubble. Off the stove.
- Pour this to the mashed dal. Stir well.
- Serve with rice or roti.
Chopped tomatoes can also be used, they can be added to the dal and bottle gourd and pressure cooked
for more andhra pappu recipe , check
moong dal recipe