tambli recipe was sent by Naina ravi, a Mangalorean Brahmin. Sometime back while I was busy with guests from India, I barely had time to post anything here for few weeks. It was then she took time for me to write the recipe and send it along with the pictures.
tambli is a traditional dish among the Mangalorean Brahmin community. It can be made with any of the ingredients like ginger, ridge guard, cumin and Fenugreek. It is basically a seasoned mixture of freshly ground coconut and curd. It’s truly a welcomed dish on a hot summer day and is served with plain rice.
Fenugreek seeds (methi dana), the main ingredient of today’s dish has great health benefits. It reduces cholesterol, stabilizes blood glucose levels & is effective in controlling diabetes too. It improves digestion and maintains healthy metabolism. It treats minor skin problems, sore throat, and constipation and regulates bowels. More importantly it keeps the body cool.
find complete recipe of tambli below
- 1 tsp Fenugreek seeds, methi seeds (can increase if you can tolerate slight bitterness)
- ¼ cup coconut gratings
- ¼-1/2 cup curds / yogurt
- 2 red chilies
- Salt to taste
- Curry leaves
- Coriander leaves
- pinch of urad dal
- A Pinch of hing
- 1 tsp oil
- Dry roast Fenugreek seeds and red chilies
- add them to coconut gratings and blend into a fine paste.
- To this, add curds and salt to taste. Add water to reach a watery consistency. (i have not added much to mine, but it is made watery like buttermilk)
- Top it with a tempering of urad Dal and pinch of Hing, curry leaves. Garnish it with coriander. Savor it with delight.