Potato fry recipe or aloo fry recipe. Learn to make easy potato fry in 25 minutes. Potato is a versatile vegetable and can be used to prepare many dishes. I also make other potato recipes like aloo curry, South Indian aloo kurma, quick potato sagu, simple aloo rice, biryani and potato sandwich. A simple potato fry is very easy to prepare and makes a Indian meal special. Lightly spiced with red chili powder and light garam masala, this aloo fry has great taste and flavor. Accompany this with tomato rasam and plain rice, you will love it.
You may like to check this baby potato fry and tandoori aloo tikka.
Potato fry recipe or aloo fry recipe below
- 1 cup of cubed potatoes or large potatoes
- 1 sprig curry leaves or mint leaves
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves chopped or crushed
- ¼ tsp. mustard
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp urad dal
- pinch of hing
- generous pinch of turmeric
- ¼ tsp red chili powder
- little garam masala or sambar powder
- oil as needed
- salt as needed
- Wash potatoes and peel. Cube to small bite sizes. Keep them in a bowl of water.
- Add oil to a hot pan or tawa. Add cumin, mustard and dals. Fry dal till golden.
- Add curry leaves and garlic.
- When the garlic is lightly fried, add potatoes and turmeric.
- Fry for about 3 minutes. Lower the flame, Cover and cook till the potatoes are done. Stir in between to prevent burning.
- When the potatoes are roasted and cooked well, add chili powder, salt and garam masala.
- Toss everything well and fry for a minute or two to blend well. Serve aloo fry with rice and rasam.
How to make potato fry recipe
1. Heat a pan with oil, add mustard, cumin and urad dal, when the dal gets lightly roasted add red chili, garlic and curry leaves. If you don’t have curry leaves you can use pudina.
2. Add potatoes and turmeric.
3. Fry for about 3 to 4 minutes.
4. Simmer or lower the flame. Cook covered till the potatoes are soft cooked.
5. Add red chili powder and garam masala.
6. Mix and fry for few more minutes, till the chili powder blends well with potatoes.
Serve aloo fry with rice and rasam.