Tawa pulao recipe with video – Tawa pulao is one of the popular street foods of India. There are so many ways of making a pulao recipe. Tawa pulao is a very common street food from mumbai which is made on a large tawa, a griddle. To make this, rice is cooked first and seasoned with pav bhaji masala powder and vegetables. Its an easy and simple pulao to make and tastes delicious. You can make this pulao for a lunch box or for your meal on a busy day without much effort.
To make tawa pulao recipe, vegetable like onion, tomato, capsicum, green peas, potatoes and even carrots can be used. The veggies need to be steamed or boiled first before adding it to the tawa.
Tawa pulao can be served on its own or can be accompanied by an onion raita or a raw vegetable salad. We love to serve it with a paneer side dish like the
restaurant style kadai paneer
paneer tikka masala gravy
paneer butter masala.
Video of tawa pulao recipe
Mumbai tawa pulao recipe card below
- ½ cup rice
- 1 tbsp butter or oil
- ½ tsp cumin / jeera
- ¼ cup chopped onions (medium size)
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- ⅓ cup or 1 large ripe tomato chopped
- Salt as needed
- ¾ to 1 tbsp pav bhaji masala
- ½ tsp red chili powder or paste (optional)
- ¼ cup chopped capsicum
- ½ to ¾ cup steamed or boiled vegetables (potato, carrots, beans, peas)
- 2 tbsp water
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Wash and soak rice. Cook it till al dente without making it mushy. Cool it completely.
- Wash and chop onions, tomatoes & capsicum. Set these aside.
- Wash and cube potatoes, beans and carrots.
- Boil or steam potatoes, beans, green peas and carrots. The veggies must be steamed to al dente. Do not make them too soft.
- Heat butter/oil in a pan, add cumin and sauté till they begin to crackle.
- Add onions, fry them till transparent.
- Add ginger garlic paste, fry till a nice aroma comes out.
- Add tomatoes and salt. Fry till tomatoes turn mushy.
- Add pav bhaji masala and red chili powder or paste.
- Add capsicum and saute for 2 mins.
- Add 2 tbsp of water and cook the masala until water evaporates.
- Add the boiled vegetables. Mix well.
- Add the cooked rice and mix well. Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve tawa pulao hot.
2. Do not add too much water to the masala while cooking. It can make the rice soggy and sticky
How to make mumbai tawa pulao with step by step pictures
1. Cook rice in whatever way you prefer. Rice should not be mushy must be cooked aldente. Spread the rice on a wide plate and Cool it thoroughly.
2. Wash and chop vegetables like onions, tomatoes, capsicum, carrot and potato. Steam or boil potatoes, peas, beans and carrots.
2. Heat a pan with butter/oil, add cumin and allow them to crackle.
3. Add onions and fry till turn pink.
4. Add ginger garlic paste, fry till it becomes aromatic.
5. Add tomatoes and sprinkle salt. Fry till tomatoes turn mushy.
6. Add pav bhaji masala, red chili powder or red chili paste. If you do not like very hot, then you can skip red chili powder as it is already there in pav bhaji masala. Mix everything well.
7. Add capsicum and saute for 1 to 2 mins.
8. Add 2 tbsps of water and evaporate. This helps to bring out the flavors of pav bhaji masala. Stir well. It evaporates very quickly.
9. Add boiled vegetables and adjust salt.
10. Mix well and lower the heat.
11. Add cooked rice.
12. Add finely chopped coriander leaves and mix well.
Garnish mumbai tawa pulao with coriander leaves.