tawa pulao is one of the popular street foods of India. There are so many ways of making a pulao recipe. Tawa pulao is a very common street food from mumbai. To make this, rice is cooked and seasoned with pav bhaji masala powder and vegetables. Its an easy and simple pulao to make and tastes delicious. you can make this pulao for a lunch box or for your meal on a busy day without much effort.
I adapted this tawa pulao recipe from sanjeev kapoor ji’s video. A variation to this recipe is to use parboiled or steamed vegetables and saute instead of cooking them by adding water.
i have used capsicum, carrot, green peas and tomato. you can use potatoes too.
It can be served on its own or can be accompanied by an onion raita or a raw vegetable salad. We love to serve it with a paneer side dish like the
restaurant style kadai paneer
paneer tikka masala gravy
paneer butter masala.
how to make mumbai tawa pulao with step by step pictures
1. Cook rice in whatever way you prefer. Rice should not be mushy must be cooked aldente. Spread the rice on a wide plate and Cool it thoroughly.
2. Heat a pan with butter/oil, add cumin and allow them to crackle.
3. Add onions and fry till turn pink.
4. Add ginger garlic paste, fry till it becomes aromatic.
5. Add tomatoes and sprinkle salt. Fry till tomatoes turn mushy.
6. Add the vegetables, red chili paste or powder if using, pav bhaji masala powder and adjust salt. mix well and fry for 2 to 3 minutes.I didn’t use red chili paste or powder
7. Pour 3 to 4 tbsps. Water and cook till the water evaporates fully and the carrot is cooked to your desired level. We love to have them crunchy.
8. Add the cooked rice and mix well. Before you add the rice ensure that there is no more water left. The cooked mix should look like a thick curry otherwise the rice becomes sticky and soggy
Garnish with coriander leaves
find tawa pulao recipe below
- 1 ½ cups Basmathi rice (cooked with salt)
- ¾ tsp cumin (jeera)
- 1 big onion chopped or sliced thinly
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 carrot chopped small
- ¼ cup green peas (mashed or as it is)
- 2 tomato chopped small
- ½ green or red capsicum cubed
- 1 ½ tsp red chili paste (can mix red chili pow with enough water)(optional)
- 1 ½ tsp pav bhaji masala
- Salt to taste
- 3 tbsp butter / oil
- 3 to 4 tbsp. water
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Heat butter/oil in a pan, add cumin and sauté till they begin to crackle.
- Add onions, fry them till transparent
- Add ginger garlic paste, fry till u get an aroma.
- Add tomatoes and salt. Fry till tomatoes turn mushy
- Add the vegetables, red chili paste or red chili powder and pav bhaji masala powder, mix well
- Pour 3 to 4 tbsp. Water just enough to cook the vegetables. Cook till the water evaporates fully and the carrot is cooked.
- Add the cooked rice and mix well. Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve tawa pulao.
You can use boiled or steamed vegetables and skip adding water to the mix while cooking