easy tofu stir fry recipe – Tofu is a good substitute to paneer for vegans but tastes different from paneer. My kids are a bit fussy to eat this soft protein, except in the form of stir fry.
This tofu stir fry tastes so delicious that I got hooked to it and began to make more often.
To make this easy tofu stir fry recipe , one can use any veggies of their choice. Most vegetables go well with this. I have used bell peppers, onions and tomatoes to make this tofu stir fry.
I have kept the recipe simple and have not used too many spices and spice powders. You can experiment with your favorite spice powders.
- 1 ½ cups of firm tofu cubes
- 1 large tomato chopped finely
- 1 large onion cubed and layers separated
- ½ cup bell peppers chopped
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ½ tsp cumin / jeera
- ½ tsp ginger chopped or grated
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder or ½ tsp garam masala or any spice powder
- ¼ tsp cumin powder/ cumin powder (optional)
- oil as needed
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Heat oil in a wide pan, fry tofu till slightly golden brown, set aside.
- In the same pan, add little more oil, add cumin when it begins to splutter, add curry leaves and ginger, sauté.
- Add tomatoes, salt, turmeric and fry till tomatoes turn fully mushy.
- Add chili powder, cumin and coriander powder, sauté for a min.
- Add onions, capsicum, mix well and fry on high for 2 minutes.
- Cover the lid and cook capsicums till almost done. Do not overcook, as they lose the crunch.
- Add tofu, chili powder, garam masala or spice powder powder. Mix well. Cover and cook for 2 mins.
- Add finely chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve tofu stir fry hot with roti, bread or rice.