vankaya pachadi or brinjal chutney is a chutney made of brinjal in the andhra cuisine. It is usually accompanied with rice or phulka. There are 3 varieties that are made at home, one is the kalchina vankaya pachadi and the other is mixed vegetable chutney with brinjal which i shared earlier. The recipe iam sharing now is a one made of brinjal and tomato and is also called as vankaya tomato pachadi.
To make this brinjal chutney, brinjals are sauteed in oil till tender and then the tomatoes too are sauted. Both together are ground and then seasoned. It is made without onion and garlic, tastes hot, tangy and delicious. It is best when served with ghee. It is a quick recipe and doesn’t need much time.
What would you do when you are not left with enough eggplants to make a curry for the whole family? You can just pair it up with some tomatoes and make a hot chutney. Sometime back I was left with only 2 brinjals and so to use them up I had to make this chutney that was enough for 2 of us.
find brinjal chutney or vankaya pachadi recipe below
- 2 to 3 hot green chilies slit
- 2 small brinjals (about ¾ cup of pieces)
- 1 tomato chopped
- tamarind paste (optional, if you want it to be more tangy)
- pinch of turmeric
- salt to taste
- few coriander leaves chopped
- pinch of mustard
- pinch of cumin for grinding + another pinch for tempering
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ¼ tsp of channa dal /senaga pappu
- Pinch of urad dal / minapappu
- 1 broken red chili
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp oil
- Heat a heavy bottom pan with oil; fry slit green chilies for 1 to 2 mins. set this aside
- In the same pan, add brinjal pieces, sprinkle salt and fry till fully cooked. If needed you could cover and cook. set aside to cool
- In the same pan, add tomatoes, sprinkle salt and turmeric. fry till fully mushy and almost dry(do not cover and cook as this doesn't give a good taste to the chutney)
- Once the fried ingredients are cool, grind them along with cumin. Adjust salt and if desired add tamarind.
- Heat another small pan with 1 tsp. oil, add mustard, cumin , red chili, dals, when they are fried well, add curry leaves and pinch of hing. Off the heat and add the chutney to this. Mix well and garnish brinjal chutney with chopped coriander leaves.
more andhra style chutney or pachadi recipes,