Biryani rice recipe – kuska rice or plain biryani without vegetables made in south Indian muslim style. This is different from the biryani rice or biryani chawal that is served in North Indian restaurants. You can also check this recipe of Biryani chawal known as “GHEE RICE” in South India. One can also find this biryani rice or kuska in South Indian restaurants with a Non-vegetarian Meal.
This biryani rice is made without vegetables so no chopping or grinding work and yet it tastes flavorful. One can find slightly different versions of these, while a few folks use mild flavorful biryani masala powder. It is all up to ones choice of whether to used ground spices or skip them.
Biryani rice recipe or kuska rice or plain biryani recipe
- 2 cups rice (preferably basmathi)
- 3.5 cups water or stock (chicken or veg stock)
- 2 to 2 ½ tbsp. Oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 star anise
- 1 strand of mace
- ½ tsp shahi jeera
- 4 to 6 green cardamoms
- 4 to 6 cloves
- 1 two inch cinnamon stick
- ¾ cup onion thinly sliced about 1 large or 2 medium
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- ½ cup chopped tomato about 1 large (deseeded)
- Salt as needed
- Turmeric as needed little only
- ½ to ¾ tsp red chili powder
- Handful of mint/ pudina & coriander
- 1 to 1 ½ tsp biryani masala powder (any readymade will do) (optional)
- ¼ cup fresh curd / yogurt (do not use sour one)
- Wash and soak rice for at least 20 minutes. Drain water completely. Set aside.
- Heat a pressure cooker or a heavy bottom pan with oil, add spices and fry till they turn fragrant.
- Add onions and fry till onions turn golden.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry till it gets fragrant. Do not burn
- Add tomatoes,curd, red chili powder, pudina, coriander, salt and turmeric. If using biryani masala powder add it now. Fry till tomatoes turn mushy, soft and pulpy. The mixture begins to leave the oil as well.
- Pour water or stock and bring water to a boil. adjust the salt (you could vary the amount of water based on your rice)
- Add rice and cook till very little water is left. refer the pic
- cover the pressure cooker with the lid, cook on a low flame for 3 to 5 mins. Do not let the cooker whistle. if cooking in a pan or casserole, just cover tightly and cook till the rice is fully done. it could take around 5 mins. If using normal rice, allow to whistle once.
- Let the pressure go off, then fluff up the rice.
This rice goes very well with any veg or non veg gravy. Some serving suggestions for vegetarians are
soya chunks kurma
mirch ka salan
Non-vegetarians can serve this with
How to make biryani rice recipe
1. Wash and soak rice for about 20 to 30 mins. Meanwhile prepare the onions and tomatoes. After 30 mins drain the rice completely to a colander. Set this aside.
2. Heat oil in a pot or pressure cooker. Add bay leaf, star anise, cardamoms, cloves, cinnamon, shahi jeera and mace. Saute until the shahi jeera splutters.
3. Add sliced 3/4 cup onions and fry until golden.
4. Add 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste and fry until it smells good.
5. Make sure the raw smell of garlic goes away.
6. Add tomatoes and yogurt. Stir to prevent burning.
7. Add 1/2 to 3/4 tsp red chili powder, little turmeric, handful of mint, coriander, salt and 1 tsp biryani masala powder (optional). For the kuska rice, most ppl do not use biryani masala powder.
8. Cook until the tomatoes turn mushy and oil begins to separate.
9. Add 3 1/2 cups water. Bring it to a boil.
10. Add drained rice. Mix well.
11. Cook on a medium flame until very little water is left. Refer the picture. Lower the flame completely. Cover the pot or pressure cooker with a lid and cook for exactly 5 to 6 mins. I used a pressure cooker.
12. When the rice is done, open the lid and fluff up.
Serve with raita or with any of the biryani gravy.