Veg cutlet recipe with green chutney – Simple, easy and delicious vegetable cutlet that can be served for a evening snack with a chutney or dip. A green chutney or a sauce goes best with these. These cutlets can be baked, deep fried or shallow fried to suit one’s diet and taste. These are made using a combination of veggies with potato as the base for binding. Folks having diet restrictions towards consumption of potatoes can use sweet potato or yam.
These can also be used as patties to make Veg burger. You can also add in some soya granules to lend a great texture. These are best served hot or warm.
How to make vegetable cutlet with step by step photos
1. Chop beans, carrots and potatoes to small cubes. You can also use cauliflower, beets and cabbage. I used green peas as well.
2. Steam them together until just done in a cooker or steamer. They must be soft cooked and firm but must not be mushy or soggy. If cooked in a pot, drain them up in a colander completely if any moisture is left. If the veggies have lot of moisture in them they soak up lot of oil and do not bind well.
3. Mash them well.
4. Add coriander leaves, green chilies, garam masala, cumin, ginger paste. Mix everything well.
5. Add bread crumbs. I prefer to use powdered poha. I used thick variety red poha. Even white poha can be used. It absorbs moisture from the veggies better than bread crumbs and is a healthier option.
6. Mix everything well. The mixture should be non sticky and must not be soggy. Take small portion of this and make patties.
7. Make a thin batter using 2 tbsp of besan or rice flour. Patty need not be coated with much batter, if it becomes moist it is just enough.
8. Place it on the bread crumbs. Make sure the patty is coated with bread crumbs on both the sides. You can also use coarsely ground thick variety poha or crushed cornflakes for this.
9. Repeat doing this for all the patties and place them on a plate. Leave this aside for about 5 to 10 minutes. This helps the bread crumbs to stick well to the patties.
10. Heat oil in a small pan. Shallow fry or bake them. I used 3 tsps oil for every batch of 5 patties. You can reduce this quantity to 2 tsps.
11. Flip them to the other side and fry until golden.
Serve with green chutney or any dip.
Veg cutlet recipe below
- 2 cups cubed potatoes (2 large)
- ½ cup green peas
- 1 cup carrot (1 large)
- ½ cup beans chopped (6 to 8)
- 6 tbsp bread crumb or ½ cup thick poha or roasted besan
- 2 tbsp. besan/ chickpea flour or rice flour or corn flour
- ¾ tsp ginger grated
- ½ to ¾ tsp garam masala
- salt as needed
- coriander leaves handful chopped
- oil as needed
- Steam or boil veggies until just done. Drain any excess moisture if left.
- Mash them well. Add bread crumbs or powdered poha, salt, ginger, garam masala, chilies to the veggies.
- Mix everything well. It must be a non sticky dough. If needed add more bread crumbs to make it non sticky.
- Make 13 to 14 patties and set aside.
- Make a slightly thin batter of besan or rice flour. Dip each patty in the batter on both the sides.
- Place them on the bread crumbs. Place them aside for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Heat oil for shallow frying and fry them on both the side until golden
- To make green chutney, we need 1 cup coriander leaves, ½ cup mint leaves / pudina, 1 tbsp fried gram / dalia,½ to ¾ tsp cumin,Salt as needed, 2 to 4 hot green chilies, ¼ inch ginger, 2 to 3 medium sized garlic cloves, Lemon juice as needed.
- Blend all the ingredients together with 2 tbsps water. Add lemon juice and mix. Ready to serve.