Veg kurma recipe – kurma or korma is a curry made using veggies or meat along with yogurt, coconut, spices and nut or seed paste. Based on the regions, the ingredients used to make a korma recipe are different. I am sharing a South Indian hotel style veg kurma recipe that is quick and easy to prepare. It pairs wonderfully well with roti, puri, dosa, coconut rice, plain paratha or any variety rice like simple pulao. This recipe has been adapted from the other korma recipes on this blog.
More kurma recipes on the blog
How to make vegetable korma recipe
1. Add 1 tbsp roasted poppy seeds, 1 tbsp fried gram, 3 tbsp fresh grated coconut and 10 cashew nuts. You can replace poppy seeds with coconut, or cashew nuts with poppy seeds. Skipping cashews and poppy seeds both may not lend a good taste. If you do not have a blender to make a paste, then just use 3/4 cup thick yogurt the taste will be different but still good.
2. Add little water and make a fine paste.
3. Heat oil in a pot, add bay leaf, star anise, jeera, cloves, cinnamon stick. You can also add a single strand of mace If you like the fragrance.
4. Add very finely chopped onions or onion paste. Saute until the onions turn pink. The raw smell of the onions has to go away.
5. Add ginger garlic paste. My ginger garlic paste has turmeric in it, so the color. Saute until the raw smell of the paste has gone away.
6. Add chopped tomatoes and salt.
7. Fry until the tomatoes turn completely soft and mushy.
8. Add chili powder, coriander leaves, garam masala and saunf powder. If you do not have saunf/ fennel seeds powder, then add garam masala and saunf to a blender jar and powder well.
9. On a medium to low flame, saute for 2 to 3 minutes until the masala begins to smell good. By now the mixture also begins to leave the sides.
10. Add the coconut cashew paste.
11. Mix and fry for 2 to 3 minutes until the coconut smells good.
12. Lower the flame, add chopped potatoes, beans, carrots, peas and cauliflower.
13. Mix everything well and saute for 2 to 3 minutes without burning.
14. Add water just enough to cover the veggies. I used 1.5 cups water. Add salt as well and stir.
15. Cook on a medium flame until the veggies are cooked. Add coriander leaves and switch off.
South Indian hotel style veg kurma recipe
- 3 tbsp fresh coconut grated
- 8 to 10 cashew nuts
- 1 tbsp fried gram / pottukadalai/ putnalu
- 1 tbsp roasted poppy seeds (optional)
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1 star anise
- 1 strand mace / javithri (optional)
- ½ tsp cumin/jeera
- 2 green cardamoms
- 2 to 3 cloves
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 ½ tsp ginger garlic paste
- ¾ cup finely chopped tomatoes
- salt as needed
- ¾ cup beans
- ¾ cup carrot
- ¾ to 1 cup cauliflower
- ¾ cup potatoes
- ½ cup green peas
- ¾ to 1 tsp kashmiri red chili powder
- 1 to 1 ¼ tsp garam masala
- ¼ tsp saunf powder or ½ tsp saunf
- few coriander leaves
- 1 ½ cups water
- Make a fine paste of the ingredients mentioned under to grind with little water. Set aside
- Heat a pot and saute dry spices until they sizzle.
- Fry onions until the raw smell goes off.
- Fry ginger garlic paste until the raw smell goes off.
- Saute tomatoes with salt until mushy and soft.
- Add all the spice powders , coriander leaves and saute in the pot.
- Add the ground paste and saute for few minutes until the masala leaves smells good.
- Add veggies and mix well. Fry for few minutes and then add water. Adjust salt if needed.
- Cook until the veggies are cooked. Garnish with coriander leaves.