Veg paratha recipe – Healthy & Kids’ friendly breakfast recipe of vegetable paratha. I make these very often for my kids’ school box & sometimes for breakfast too. Each time I make with different veggies which lend different flavors to the paratha. These are very easy to make and the best part is the dough doesn’t need any resting time. Once the dough is ready they can be made right away.
This time I have used potato, carrot, peas and cauliflower which were left in small quantity after making the kachi hyderabadi veg biryani. You can substitute with any veggies of your choice. Beetroot, broccoli, palak, beans, sweet potato, yam, cabbage & lauki are some of the other veggies which I also use sometimes. Potato can be substituted with sweet potato or yam, all these 3 veggies make the veg paratha soft.
These mix vegetable paratha turn out soft & delicious and keep good for hours when stored well. They can be eaten alone or can be served with a chutney or pickle.
Veg paratha recipe below
- 1 cup atta / whole wheat flour
- salt as needed
- ½ tsp grated ginger or ginger garlic paste
- ½ tsp red chilli powder (adjust as needed)
- ¼ tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp ajwain / carom seeds/ vaamu
- ghee or oil for frying
- ½ cup cubed potatoes or sweet potatoes
- ½ cup cubed carrots
- ¼ cup cauliflower
- ¼ cup green peas
- ¼ cup methi or palak chopped finely(optional)
- Handful of coriander leaves(optional)
- Steam or boil mix vegetables until just cooked.
- When they are still hot, mash them well using a masher until smooth.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except atta. Mix well.
- Add the flour and mix. If needed add little water or vegetable stock if any left from boiling the veggies.
- Knead well to make a soft non sticky dough. Divide the dough into 5 to 6 equal sized balls.
- Dust the rolling board and a ball with little flour. Flatten and begin to roll evenly to a medium sized paratha of 6 to 7 inches.
- Heat a roti tawa. When it is hot enough transfer the paratha gently to the tawa. After a minute flip it and spread ghee or oil.
- Cook on both the sides until brown to golden spots appear, meaning the paratha is cooked.
- Continue to make and fry all the parathas.
- Stack vegetable paratha to keep them soft.
You can also check these recipes for kids
Paneer palak rolls
How to make vegetable paratha recipe
1. Steam or boil veggies as desired until soft. I do over a pressure cooker. It just takes around 5 to 7 mins to steam the veggies.
2. Begin to mash them using a masher. They don’t need to cool down, you can do it right away when they are still hot.
3. Make sure there are no bits and chunks of veggies. The veggies must be mashed to very smooth.
4. Add finely chopped leafy greens. I used methi and coriander leaves. Also add ginger garlic paste, garam masala, red chilli powder, salt and ajwain
5. Mix up well, taste it and check if there is enough salt. It must be moderately salty. If needed add more.
6. Add whole wheat flour.
7. Begin to mix without using any water. If it doesn’t come together to form the dough, then sprinkle some water or the vegetable stock and mix to dough.
8. The dough must be soft and non sticky.
9. Divide the dough to 5 to 6 balls.
10. Sprinkle flour over the rolling board and a ball. Flatten and begin to roll it.
11. Roll to a 6 to 7 inches paratha of even thickness.
12. Heat a griddle or tawa. When hot enough, transfer the paratha to the tawa.
13. Flip it when you see tiny bubbles. Drizzle few drops of ghee or oil. Spread it all over the paratha.
14. Cook on both the sides until well cooked with golden to light brown spots on them. Place a kitchen cloth or tissue in a plate. Stack the vegetable parathas over it to keep them soft. Continue to make the rest of the parathas and fry them.
Serve veg paratha with chutney or pickle.