Veg sandwich recipe – A simple mixed vegetable sandwich for breakfast or evening snack under 15 mins – devoid of sauces, chutney or cheese. I have made this sandwich without a grill, toaster or oven, just made it on a pan/ tawa or griddle in the simplest way. I have not used any sauce or green chutney for this so it is good even to make on a busy weekday morning for breakfast.
I usually do not stock up green chutney or sauces, so I prefer making most sandwiches without them. But if you have in hand, then can also use them.
You can also use some boiled potatoes, sliced or grated cheese if you like. I have used carrots, onions, corn, beans & bell pepper. Tomato is used for binding the veggies, if skipped the mixture may turn dry. To bind the veggies, you will need to either use cheese or grill it in a sandwich maker.
For more simple veg sandwich recipes on the blog, do check
Tomato cucumber sandwich
Veg mayo sandwich
Aloo grilled sandwich
Corn cheese sandwich
How to make veg sandwich – step by step photos
1. Smear butter or ghee on the bread and toast them until golden on one side and until firm on the other side. While you toast, chop or slice the veggies thinly.
2. Heat oil on a pan, Saute cumin until they crackle. Add garlic and fry until a good smell comes out. I did not have garlic so i used ginger garlic paste.
3. Add chopped, mashed or pureed tomato. Sprinkle salt and mix.
4. Cover and cook on a medium heat until it turns completely soft and mushy.
5. You can add chilli powder now and saute for a minute. I did not use it since i used green chilies in the next step.
6. Add veggies. Saute on a medium to high flame until they are partially cooked. I do not cover and cook since mine gets cooked quickly. If your carrots are not tender, you may need to cover and cook. Sauteing on a high flame lends a smoky flavor.
7. Add pav bhaji masala or garam masala and coriander leaves. Pav bhaji masala works very well for this, if you do not have you can use kitchen king masala or garam masala like me. Adjust the salt and make sure the veggies are at least partially cooked.
8. Place the toasted slices and transfer the veggies over them. If you wish to have cheese , then sprinkle now.
9. Place another slice of bread. Press down gently. If using cheese, toast it on a low heat without burning until the cheese melts. Alternately you can also grill in a sandwich maker.
Veg sandwich recipe below
- 4 slices of brown bread
- 2 tsps butter or ghee (optional)
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic chopped or ½ tsp ginger garlic paste
- pinch of turmeric
- salt as needed
- 2 green chilies chopped or ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 heaped cup mixed veggies (carrot, onion, capsicum, corn,beans)
- 1 large tomato finely chopped mashed (about half cup)
- ½ to ¾ tsp pav bhaji masala or garam masala.
- Handful of coriander leaves
- Smear butter over the bread slices and toast them until golden on the outer side and until crisp on the inner side. Set these aside.
- Add oil to the pan, add cumin and allow to splutter. Saute garlic until a nice aroma comes.
- Add tomatoes and sprinkle salt. Cover and cook until soft and mushy. If using red chili powder add it now and saute for a minute.
- Add the veggies and begin to saute on a medium to high flame until half done or soft cooked to suit your taste. You can also cover and cook until soft.
- Add masala powder and coriander leaves. Stir and saute for a minute.
- Adjust salt as needed.
- Place the bread slices over the pan and transfer the prepared veggies. If desired add cheese at this step.
- Cover with another slice of bread and press down. If using cheese, turn on the flame to very low and heat until the cheese melts. Press down the bread with a wooden spoon. This helps the bread to stick to the stuffing. You can also grill this in a sandwich maker
- Serve veg sandwich hot.