Veg wraps recipe – Kids friendly vegetable wraps using whole wheat roti. Wraps are a favorite at home and are made more often for the kids for their after school meal or for dinner. However these can also be made for the school box. This is not much of a recipe but if you are looking for ideas to make wraps at home then this post will be helpful. I have shared different ways of making veg wraps, feel free to try with your own ideas to suit your kids’ likes and dislikes.
For the wrap I used homemade whole wheat roti. Since we make about 15 to 20 roti daily at home, often I am left with surplus which I use up to make these veg wraps.
For the filling, I have used fresh shredded veggies like carrots, tomatoes, onions and butter lettuce. You can also experiment with cabbage, spring onions etc. You can also use steamed veggies or boiled veggies.
For the spread you can use one of the following
Hung curd / dahi or greek yogurt or
Green chutney or
However when I made these veg wraps, I have used Philadelphia cream cheese. More details are mentioned in the step by step instructions.
Veg wraps recipe
- 4 whole wheat roti or tortilla
- 1 medium carrot shredded
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 1 tomato deseeded and thinly sliced
- Lettuce or cabbage as desired
- 1 green chili chopped (skip for kids)
- ¼ cup cream cheese or hung curd / greek yogurt or mayonnaise
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves minced
- Lemon juice as needed
- Pepper powder as needed
- ¼ to ½ tsp Mustard powder or ground mustard
- Salt as needed (optional, skip if cheese or mayo has salt)
- 1 to 2 tbsp Olive oil
- Wash and shred the veggies as desired.
- Skip this step if using green chutney. Mix together cheese or yogurt or mayo with garlic, mustard, pepper and lemon juice. The spread is ready.
- Spread the mix evenly over the roti, including the edges.
- Place the lettuce and then the shredded veggies towards one side of the roti.
- Begin to roll and just stick up the edge.
- Serve within 2 hours if using mayo or cheese. If you have green chutney it stays good for several hours.
How to make veg wraps recipe
1. Wash veggies thoroughly and prepare them. Slice onions and tomatoes, shred carrots and cabbage if using. You can also use spring onions and bell peppers. Mince garlic and chop chili if using.
2. You can also use lettuce or any other leafy greens you like. I have used butter lettuce here. I sprinkle vinegar and leave them for a while. Then rinse them well few times. Drain them completely.
3. If using green chutney,You can follow this link on how to make green chutney. Skip this one and the next 2 steps. Prepare the spread by adding cheese or yogurt or mayo to a bowl. Add mustard, pepper powder, mustard powder, chilies and garlic.
4. Add olive oil and Lemon juice.
5. Mix up everything. It must be of a spreading consistency. I prefer to add in more oil & lemon juice to bring it to a spreading consistency. It must be thick as well.
6. Smear the prepared spread over the roti including edges. If using green chutney, I smear some olive oil over the roti, this helps to keep the roti firm and prevents from turning soggy. Then apply green chutney as desired. Make sure you apply towards the edges if not using toothpicks to hold them.
7. Place the leafy greens first and then the shredded veggies. Begin to roll up from one side of the roti.
8. Roll it up & stick the edges. For the wrap to hold its shape make sure you smear the spread over the edges well.
Notes on Veg wrap recipe:
If using cream cheese this has to be consumed within 2 hours otherwise refrigerated.
If using hung curd or greek yogurt, it may turn sour if left for long hours. It keeps good for about 2 to 4 hours depending on the temperature. Make sure not to use sour curd and skip lemon juice if you intend to keep it for longer than an hour.
If using mayo it is good to consume right away or atleast by 45 to 60 mins.
If using green chutney, it can keep good for about 3 to 5 hours. I go with this option when I make this for the kids school box.