Vegetable biryani in pressure cooker – A one pot recipe that is very quick to make, if you have a homemade or ready made biriyani masala powder in hand. This recipe yields a perfect light biriyani loaded with vegetables and mildly spiced. It only takes 30 minutes to prepare this aromatic rice and makes a perfect meal for your hubby or kids lunch box.
To make this easy vegetable biryani in pressure cooker, we don’t need coconut, yogurt or tomato, if you have coconut milk you can use it instead of water. I just use a tbsp. of lemon juice for that tang. You can use your favorite ingredients like soya chunks, beans, cashews etc.
If you have the time and patience to make a elaborate dum biriyani, then you may try this delicious veg dum biryani that i shared earlier which calls for more preparation work and is time consuming. You may also like this restaurant style veg biryani.
I do make this pressure cooker biryani often since it doesn’t require much preparation and not time consuming and yet tastes good. It is flavorful on its own and can be served without any side dishes, but if you prefer you can serve with a simple sherva/ shorba,bagara baingan, mirchi ka salan or raita. You can find a collection of raita recipes here.
How to make vegetable biryani in pressure cooker
1. Wash rice until water runs clear. Soak it till you begin to cook.
2. Heat a pressure cooker with oil, add spices – cinnamon, star flower, cardamom, cloves, bay leaf and shahi jeera. Saute for one to two minutes until they begin to crackle.
3. Add onions, slit green chilies and fry until golden.
4. Add ginger garlic paste.
5. Fry till the raw smell goes away.
6. Add vegetables. Saute on a medium to high flame for 2 to 3 minutes. I have used potato, peas, onions, carrots and french beans. You can also add soya chunks if you like. To add soya chunks, soak them in hot water until soft. Squeeze up the water. Rinse a few times and squeeze them completely and add here.
7. Add mint leaves and biryani masala powder. I suggest using a good biriyani masala powder. You can also find a link to biryani masala powder recipe in the recipe card below.
8. Fry for another 2 minutes.
9. Pour water, add salt. You can add lemon juice now or after cooking.
10. Stir well and bring the water to a rapid boil. Drain the water completely from rice and add it to the boiling pan of water.
11. On a medium flame cook till very little water is left. you can adjust the salt and biriyani masala powder here, Add little more masala powder , if your rice is very light in color, i had to add a bit more. Close the pressure cooker lid, cook for about 5 minutes on a very low flame. Do not let the cooker whistle. Off the stove.
10.Or another method is to cover the pressure cooker immediately after adding rice. Cook on a low flame for one whistle.
11. When the pressure goes off, open the lid.
12. Fluff up the rice with a fork gently and add lemon juice if desired.
I garnished with fried capsicum and mint leaves.
Find vegetable biryani in pressure cooker recipe
- 1 ½ cup of basmathi rice (soaked for at least 10 mins)
- 1 potato cubed
- 1 carrot chopped
- Fistful of green peas
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 tbsp. ginger garlic paste
- Fistful of mint leaves
- Coriander leaves (optional)
- 1 to 2 green chili
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice (optional)
- 1 ½ to 2 tsp. Biryani Masala Powder (adjust to suit your taste)
- 2 ½ cups water or thin coconut milk
- 2 to 3 tbsp. Oil
- fried capsicum for garnish (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 green cardamoms
- 1 star anise
- Two 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 6 cloves
- ½ tsp. shahi jeera
- Few pepper corn (optional)
- Soak rice for at least 10 minutes. Drain the water and set aside.
- Chop all the veggies and mint.
- Add oil to a pressure cooker and heat it.
- Add spices and fry till you get a nice aroma for one to 2 minutes. Fry onions until golden. Add ginger garlic paste and saute until the raw smell has gone.
- Add all chopped vegetables, fry for about 2 minutes.
- Add mint leaves, biryani masala and saute for 2 more minutes.
- Measure and pour water or coconut milk, salt and lemon juice.
- When the water begins to boil, add rice and stir
- Close the lid and let the cooker whistle once on a low flame. Off the stove and when the pressure goes down, open the lid and fluff up.
- Serve veg biryani with raita
If your rice becomes mushy, reduce the qty of water the next time you cook.
You can use store bought biryani masala powder. Using too much of masala powder can make your biryani bitter. So adjust the powder according to your taste.