Veg fried rice recipe with video – There are so many ways a fried rice can be made. Chinese fried rice, schezwan style, egg fried rice, chicken fried rice are some of the most common ones from the Indo chinese cuisine. This vegetable fried rice is an easy one to follow, can be made with any sauce one likes. It can be made in a jiffy with basic ingredients and rice.
Chinese Restaurants serve veg fried rice that often taste different from one another. The few ingredients that are used in almost all recipes is the monosodium glutamate called as ajjinomotto and the olive oil. Ajjinomotto lends a different taste and flavor to the rice that dominates every other ingredient that is used. Due to the controversies associated with it, I do not suggest or use it for any of my foods. You can still make a very good vegetable fried rice with out it.
To make veg fried rice, you can use your favorite veggies like corn, baby corn, beans, bell pepper, spring onions, peas, carrots,mushroom and cabbage too. We love using cabbage but it is optional, if you are have a dislike towards it you can skip. But fresh tender shredded cabbage lends a unique flavor that one can find in restaurants served fried rice.
This recipe can be altered to suit your taste, make an Chinese style fried rice by using soya sauce or use peri peri sauce to make a hot spicy peri peri rice. It can also be made using only vinegar, typically a simple Indian style fried rice.
Health tips on using Soya sauce:
Soya sauce if used in moderation is said to be healthy, hence do not include it often in your diet as it is high in sodium may cause health issues.
While buying soya sauce choose one that is labelled as naturally brewed or traditionally brewed other ways of making soya sauce uses harsh chemicals which cause side effects.
Also check the ingredients, some soya sauce come with MSG (ajinomotto) included in it. Do not buy such bottles.
Soya is a hormone disrupter, so use with caution especially for kids.
Video of veg fried rice recipe
Veg fried rice recipe below
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 1 tbsp. garlic
- 2 tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 tbsp Soya sauce (about 2 to 3 tsps, use to suit your taste)
- ¾ to 1 tbsp. vinegar
- Salt as needed
- ½ tsp coarsely crushed pepper
- ¼ to ⅓ cup carrots chopped finely
- ¼ to ⅓ cups bell peppers/ capsicum chopped finely
- ¼ cup beans chopped finely
- ¼ cup or 3 to 4 tbsp. Cabbage chopped
- ¼ cup or 3 to 4 tbsp. Spring onions chopped
- 1 slit green chili
- 8 to 10 leaves of celery
- ¼ cup mushrooms
- 1 star anise
- 1 strand of mace
- Wash rice till the water runs clear. Soak it for at least 10 mins and cook in lot of water with little oil, till al dente. Drain off the rice to a colander. Cool it.
- Heat a wok with oil on the highest flame, add chopped garlic sauté till they get fried slightly. If you wish to use mace and star anise you can use. They lend a wonderful flavour.
- Add all the chopped veggies and fry for a min or two. Add sugar if using. If you like very crunchy bell peppers add it in the next step.
- To make Indian fried rice recipe just add vinegar to the wok. To make Chinese style, add to the wok soya sauce, vinegar, salt.
- Add rice and pepper powder. Mix everything well and fry for 2 mins
- Garnish rice with fresh chopped spring onions.
You may like pair few sides with this fried rice.
How to make veg fried rice recipe
(to cook on high flame and do not overcook the veggies as they lose the crunch)
1. Soak rice for 10 to 20 mins and cook in lot of water with few drops oil, till al dente but not mushy.Grains must be separated.
2. Drain off the rice to a colander and cool it. While the rice cooks, chop all the veggies.
3. Heat oil in a wok on the highest flame, If you don’t have a wok, use a wide pan. Add garlic sauté till you get an aroma. If you wish to use spices, you can add a single strand of mace and star anise now and fry for a min. This is optional but gives the authentic chinese cuisine flavors.
4. Add all chopped vegetables and fry for 2 minutes.
5. Add sugar if you like. Using sugar keeps the veggies color intact.
6. For making Indian fried rice just add vinegar and salt. To make chinese style, add soya sauce, vinegar and salt. You can also add red chili sauce as needed and this is optional.There is already salt added in the sauces, so take care not to add too much.
7. When the sauce bubbles, add rice and pepper.You can even sprinkle pepper powder fresh before serving.
8. Toss, Mix, fry for 2 to 3 mins. Adjust more of less sauce now to suit your taste. Remember the entire cooking process should happen on the highest flame. Otherwise the moisture from the veggies can make the rice mushy.
Garnish fried rice with spring onions.