Today’s Vegetable masala bath recipeis not the maharastrian masala bath, but is a version similar to vangi bath that is often prepared in some parts of karnataka . Loaded with veggies, it is lightly spiced & has a great aroma of the vangi bath powder and is a no garlic rice recipe. I have used potato and cauliflower; you can use green peas, beans and carrots too. You can also use nuts like cashews or peanuts. I have also added the recipe for vangi bath powder that I have been using since many years which I got from a kannadiga chef from Bangalore. The taste and flavor is almost the same as the MTR vangi bath powder. Mine looks lighter in color since I use less red chilies (my kids cannot eat hot chilies). This recipe needs a bit of more oil, but tastes great.
Ingredients for vegetable masala bath
1 cup of rice
Few pudina / mint leaves chopped finely to garnish (do not miss this)
lemon juice as needed
2 cups of veggies (I used boiled potatoes, cauliflower and ½ cup of sliced onions)
1 green chili slit
2 to 3 tbsps oil
1 sprig curry leaves
pinch of cumin seeds
vangi bath powder prepared from the below ingredients
Ingredients for vangi bath powder: dry roast all the ingredients till u get an aroma one after the other separately. once cool, powder it.
1 ½ tbsps. coriander seeds
½ tbsp. channa dal / senaga pappu
¼ tbsp. urad dal/ minapa pappu
½ tsp cumin
¼ tsp methi seeds / menthulu
1. Cook rice the usual way with salt . make sure the rice is not mushy. cool it
2. Heat oil in a wok or pan, add curry leaves, cumin , green chili, once they begin to crackle, add onions and fry till they turn translucent
3. Add boiled potatoes and cauliflower (other veggies if you are using), sprinkle salt and turmeric
4. Fry till the veggies are done
5. Add the vangi bath powder and fry for 2 mins
6. Cover and cook on a low flame for atleast 2 to 3 mind
8. Garnish with fresh mint leaves. Do not skip this. Adds a lot of flavor to the rice.