Akki roti recipe – akki meaning rice in kannada, rotti refers to a flat bread cooked on a griddle. Akki roti is made with rice flour and is an everyday food from karnataka cuisine. It is served with a chutney either for breakfast or lunch. Even beginners can make these and it just takes 15 minutes. There are few different versions of these rotti based on the regions of karnataka.
I am sharing a simple akki roti recipe. It can be made on the pan directly or on a cotton cloth, foil or banana leaf and then cooked on tawa/ pan. Since i made this only for myself and younger son, i made it directly on the tawa.
If making for the entire family i make them on a greased foil, which works wonderfully good. If you are accessible to banana leaf you can use it. Traditionally it is made on a white cotton cloth or on a banana leaf.
Rice roti can be made thin or thick to suit your taste. Getting them thin and uniform comes just out of practice.
To make akki roti, ingredients like Chana dal, fresh coconut, chopped onions, coriander leaves, green chilli, jeera and rice flour are used. However veggies like grated carrot, cucumber, bottle gourd, capsicum, sabasige soppu (dill leaves) are also used based on the regions or liking. In some regions, these are made only with rice flour, coconut, green chili and cumin.
Karnataka style akki roti recipe below
Akki roti recipe | Karnataka akki rotti recipe | Rice flour roti recipe
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 to 3 tbsp. fresh coconut grated (optional)
- ½ carrot grated (can substitute with bottle gourd, optional)
- 2 green chilies deseeded
- coriander leaves handful chopped
- ½ tsp cumin or jeera
- Salt as needed
- water as needed
- oil as needed
- 1 tbsp. chana dal soaked
- ½ tsp ginger grated
How to make the recipe
Add 1 cup flour to a bowl along with other ingredients. Mix everything well.
Add water little by little and make a soft dough. Divide the dough to 4 equal balls.
Grease a pan with very little oil.
How to make akki roti
Place a ball on the tawa or a greased banana leaf. You can also use damp cloth or foil.
Begin to spread it with your fingers to a make a round roti. It can be made thick or thin to suit your taste. If making thick, make finger sized wholes with one and half inches apart.
Heat the tawa on a medium high flame. Lift the banana leaf and reverse it on the tawa. Gently peel off the leaf.
Toast it on both the sides. After flipping it sprinkle some oil to prevent dryness.
When brown spots appear, akki roti is done. Do not over cook it may turn hard.
Cool the tawa completely and then spread another roti. or Use 2 pans to make 2 rotis at one time. Detailed tips in the step by step photos.
Serve akki roti with chutney
Step by step photos on how to make akki roti recipe
1. Add rice flour, salt, coconut, cumin, green chili, coriander leaves, finely chopped onions to a bowl. If you prefer thin rotti, then make sure to chop onions finely.
Grated carrot, cucumber, bottle gourd, ginger and curry leaves can also be added. If using chana dal soak them for about 30 to 45 minutes in hot water and use.
2. Mix them all well.
3. Add water little by little and knead it.
4. Make a moist ball of dough. The color of the dough changed due to the carrots.
5. Divide the dough to 4 equal balls.
6. Grease a cool pan if not using a nonstick. Place a dough ball on the tawa, begin to flatten it evenly.
7. If there is enough moisture in the dough, it spreads easily and evenly. Keep a bowl half filled with water aside. If needed dip your fingers in the water and spread the dough. This also helps to keep the rotti soft. If making thick roti, make few wholes on the rotti every 2 inches apart for even cooking.
8. Flip it and cook on the other side as well until light brown spots appear. Add oil on the inner side and cook once more.
9. To make the next roti, either we have to cool this pan completely and then use. Or make use of 2 pans, use alternately until the other one cools.
If making in large quantity, then you can rinse 2 white cotton cloths or use foil. Squeeze up the cloth, they must be just moist with no dripping water. Spread the cloth and place a ball over it. Gently spread the dough with your fingers. Heat a pan, just lift the roti with the cloth gently and place the roti on the tawa(roti side onto the tawa). Gently dab on the the pan. Slowly remove/lift up the cloth. Cook it on both the sides.
Serve akki rotti with chutney.