Aloo chaat recipe – Aloo chaat is one of the most popular street foods of India and is often eaten as a Snack. There are different ways of making an aloo chaat, the one I am sharing here is a simple home style one. This is very quick to make if you have some steamed or boiled potatoes in hand.
Usually for making aloo chaat, potatoes are deep fried till crispy. But here I have roasted the boiled potatoes till golden on a tawa. However you can also deep fry them if you prefer crisp fried aloo in the chaat. You can also make a sweet potato chaat the same way, just by replacing the potatoes.
Aloo chaat recipe
Aloo chaat recipe | How to make aloo chaat | Potato chaat recipe
- 2 large potatoes (boiled al dente)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp garlic or ginger chopped
- 1 green chili chopped
- ½ tsp roasted cumin powder (optional)
- Salt as needed
- 1/8 tsp chaat masala powder
- ¼ to ½ tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves chopped
- 2 to 4 tbsps nylon sev
- handful of pomegranate seeds (replace with sweet raisins & roasted cashews)
- ½ to ¾ tsp lemon juice or sweet tamarind chutney
green chutney (1 to 2 tsps)
- handful of coriander leaves
- 4 to 6 mint leaves / pudina (optional)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/8 inch ginger
- 1 tsp fried gram (optional)
- 1 tbsp water if needed
- salt very little
- Peel and boil potatoes till al dente. They must be just cooked without turning mushy. You can steam or pressure cook or boil them in a pot. Cool them completely and cube. Cool these completely. You can also deep fry the potatoes till crisp.
- To make green chutney, add coriander leaves, pudina, clove, ginger, fried gram and salt to a mini blender jar.
- Add 1 tbsp water.
- Make a fine smooth green chutney. Set this aside.
- Add oil to a pan and heat it. Add ginger or garlic and green chili.
- Add the potatoes and saute on a high flame until golden and little crisp.
- Turn off the stove.
- Immediately add red chilli powder, chaat masala powder, very little salt and cumin powder.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Add green chutney, tamarind chutney or lemon juice. Check the salt and spice.
- Mix well and transfer to a serving plate.
- Add some coriander leaves, sev and pomegranate seeds or raisins and cashews.
- Serve aloo chaat immediately.
How to make aloo chaat recipe
1. Wash, peel and boil the potatoes in whatever way you prefer. They must be just cooked al dente and not turn mushy. I usually cube them and steam in a cooker just to make sure they don’t over cook.
2. While the aloo boils, add all the ingredients mentioned to make green chutney to a mini blender jar. The quantity to make the chutney mentioned in the recipe card is too less and may be hard to blend in a normal jar unless using a mini jar. So you can check this post on green chutney to make more quantity.
3. Add oil to the pan. Add ginger or garlic and green chilies.
4. Add the potatoes and saute on a high flame stirring often.
5. They will turn golden in few minutes. They will also turn slightly crisp if potato is boiled al dente. Turn off the stove.
6. Add chaat masala powder and very little salt. There is salt also in the chutney so make sure you don’t add more here.
7. Also add red chili powder and jeera or cumin powder.
8. Mix everything well and transfer to a bowl.
9. Add green chutney & tamarind chutney or lemon juice.
10. Mix everything. Do adjust spice, chaat masala, cumin powder, green chutney, salt and lemon juice to suit your taste buds. If needed add more at this stage.
Transfer to a serving plate. Sprinkle some coriander leaves, generous amount of nylon sev and pomegranate seeds. You can replace pomegranate seeds with some sweet raisins and roasted cashews.
Serve aloo chaat immediately.