Aloo gobi ki saji – Delicious and simple home style recipe made using potatoes and cauliflower. Aloo gobi ki sabji is one of the basic Indian vegetable dishes made often in homes for an everyday meal. It is served with plain rice, roti or chapati. It can also be stuffed in wraps, sandwiches or kathi rolls.
There are so many ways a aloo gobi is made. It can be made to a gravy or a dry dish. I have also shared a aloo gobi masala here. I usually make dry curry for lunch box or sometimes for dinner along with South Indian Rasam or Sambar and plain rice as these are quick to make.
This simple aloo gobi tastes delicious. It is slightly hot and very flavorful. I have used garam masala and kasuri methi as they keep the dish fresh and flavorful for long hours. But they can also be skipped if you prefer the original flavors of aloo and gobi.
Video of aloo gobi ki sabji
Aloo gobi recipe card
Aloo gobi | How to make aloo gobi dry | Cauliflower potato recipe
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- 2 to 4 tbsp oil
- ½ to ¾ tsp cumin or jeera
- ¾ cup onions finely chopped
- 1 green chili slit
- ¾ tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 potatoes (medium sized) or 1 & ½ cups cubed
- 1 ½ to 2 cups cauliflower
- salt as needed
- ¼ tsp turmeric or haldi
- ¾ to 1 tsp red chili powder
- ½ to ¾ tsp garam masala powder
- ½ to ¾ tsp kasuri methi or dry fenugreek leaves
- Coriander leaves handful - chopped finely
How to make the recipe
Preparation to make aloo gobi
Heat 3 cups water in a pot. Turn off when the water turns slightly hot. Clean and cut the cauliflower florets to medium size. Add them to the hot water and leave for 3 mins.
Discard the water and rinse them in fresh water. Drain them and set aside.
How to make aloo gobi ki sabji
Pour oil to a pan and heat it. When the oil turns hot, add cumin seeds.
When the cumin seeds begin to splutter, add onions and green chilies. Saute till they turn golden. Keep stirring to fry them evenly.
Add ginger garlic paste. Saute for 2 mins till the raw smell goes away.
Next time to add in potatoes. Then saute for 2 to 3 mins. Cover and cook on a low to medium heat until the potatoes are half cooked. Keep stirring in between. If needed sprinkle 2 tbsp water.
Transfer cauliflower and stir fry for another 2 mins.
Add salt, turmeric and red chilli powder.
Stir and mix to coat the spice powders well.
Cover and cook until the potatoes and cauliflower both turn soft and are fully cooked. If your veggies are too dry then you can sprinkle very little water and continue to cook covered.
Keep stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
Check if the potatoes are completely cooked. Sprinkle garam masala and kasuri methi. Add coriander leaves. Mix well.
Cook covered for another 2 mins.
Serve aloo gobi with rice or roti.
How to make aloo gobi ki sabji
1. Heat up 3 cups of water in a pot and turn off the stove. Add cleaned cauliflower florets and allow them to soak for 3 mins. Drain and rinse in fresh water. Drain and set aside.
2. Pour oil to a hot pan and add jeera.
3. When the Jeera splutters add finely chopped onions and green chilies.
4. Saute until the onions turn golden. Next add ginger garlic paste. Fry for 2 mins until the raw smell of garlic goes away.
5. Add potatoes and saute for 2 mins.
6. Cover and cook on a low to medium heat until half done. If the potatoes turn too dry, you can sprinkle some water. I haven’t used any but it depends on the potatoes.
7. Add gobi and fry for 2 to 3 mins.
8. Sprinkle salt, turmeric and red chili powder too. Mix everything well.
Slow cooking aloo gobi ki sabji
9. Next cover and cook on a low to medium heat until the veggies are done.
10. Stir in between for even cooking.
11. If needed you can sprinkle some water – about 1 to 2 tbsps.
12. Check if the potatoes are soft cooked.
13. Add garam masala and kasuri methi as well. If using coriander leaves you can add them too now.
14. Finally cover and cook for another 2 mins on a low flame.
Serve aloo gobi ki sabji with rice or roti.