Amritsari fish is a popular street food and restaurant style starter fried Fish. Fish is marinated in spices and then deep fried. Iam sharing 2 recipes with the same ingredients in this post. First one is the amritsari fish – deep fried. The second one – amritsari tawa fish fry and can be prepared in just 15 mins. Yes just 15 mins is all that is needed to make this yummy tawa fish fry.
I have used salmon, you can use any variety of your choice. If you make a tawa fry you can make this ahead and refrigerate it to absorb all the flavors. Salmon tastes very bland even after marinating for very long hours and doesn’t absorb the flavors well like other fishes. If you are using other than salmon, I suggest you to marinate for at least 10 mins , fry and serve right away hot.
Amritsari fish or tawa fish fry recipe below
Amritsari fish recipe | Tawa fish fry recipe | Fish fry recipe
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- Fish 300 grams (I used salmon, you can use any fish of your choice)
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- ¼ tsp ajwain/ vaamu
- Salt to taste
- ¾ tsp. red chili powder
- ½ tsp. kasuri methi (crushed)
- ¾ tsp. tandoori masala or punjabi garam masala
- ¼ tsp. biryani masala (optional)
- Pinch of amchur
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 ½ tbsp. besan/ chickpea flour (preferably coarse)
- Generous pinch of turmeric
- 2 tbsp. Oil (preferably mustard oil)
How to make the recipe
method 1- deep fry
marinate fish with all the ingredients, if needed sprinkle water so that the mixture binds well with the fish. Deep fry the fish in hot oil till golden.
method 2- tawa fish fry
Dry roast besan for few mins till you get a nice aroma. This is done to remove the raw smell from the besan. Do not darken the flour.
Wash and cut to desired sizes. I did not make them too small.
Marinate to make tawa fish with all the ingredients except ajwain, besan and oil. If needed you can sprinkle some water. Set this aside for atleast 10 mins.
Heat a wide pan with oil, add ajwain and allow them to splutter. Add the pieces and fry on a medium flame for 4 mins and flip the pieces and let them fry for another 5 mins.
Sprinkle the besan evenly all over on one side and continue to fry without burning.
Flip the pieces and fry again. The flour that we sprinkle on one side will be enough for both the sides. If needed can increase the flame slightly and fry on both sides till cooked.
Serve tawa fish hot as a starter or as a side dish.
Method 1- make deep fried amritsari fish fry.
1. Mix all the ingredients and marinate for 10 minutes. Heat oil and fry till golden.
Method 2 – make tawa fish fry
1. Roast besan till it begins to smell good. Do not over fry or brown it.
2. Marinate with ginger garlic paste, salt, masala powder, amchur, vinegar or lemon juice, chilli powder, kasuri methi, amchur , turmeric.
3. Heat a wide pan, add oil to it. Add in ajwain, when they sizzle Fry it for about five minutes on each side.
4. Sprinkle besan evenly on only one side and fry without burning.
5. Flip the pieces and continue to fry till cooked.
Serve amritsari tawa fish fry with rice.