Apple ragi halwa is one of the easiest and healthy ragi recipes that one can include in the diet. It makes a good breakfast not only for babies & toddlers but to everyone. Ragi being rich in iron, the iron levels are absorbed well by our body when accompanied with a vitamin C food like apple or pear.This apple ragi halwa is one of the best health food that is easy to make and convince your loved ones to enjoy it since it tastes very good.
This ragi halwa can also be made to a thin porridge consistency. This can suitable to babies over 6 months. If you intend to try this for a baby consult your pediatrician. You can also find more information on how to introduce ragi to babies here. It is a detailed post on how to tackle problems related to ragi for babies. you can also check this post on how to make sprouted ragi flour.
Step by step photos on apple ragi halwa recipe
1. Wash apple, peel and core it. Chop and add them to a blender.
2. For babies below 1 year old make a smooth puree. Set this aside. For toddlers you can try making it slightly chunky. They may love to bite the chunks.
3. Add 3 tbsp flour to a pan or pot.
4. Stir in 1 cup water. The mixture should be lump free. If using jaggery or palm jaggery, melt it in 1 cup warm water and filter to the pot. (refer the notes for details). But this halwa can be made without any sweetener, just use sweet variety apples.
5. Cook it till it thickens, constantly stirring to prevent formation of lumps.
6. Switch off the stove. Cover and leave it for 2 minutes.
7. Add apple puree and ghee. Since my kid is already 4, i used organic brown sugar and little cinnamon powder. Read the notes for details on sweetener.
8. Mix it and stir. I added the ghee now since i forgot at the previous step.
Ragi apple halwa is ready. For toddlers who can chew nuts, few roasted and chopped cashews can be added.
How much apple ragi porridge for babies?
This is one of the question that most of you ask, What is the right amount to serve for my baby? All babies are not the same, some can eat solids really well while some don’t. The below measurements are just rough guidelines.
1 tsp ragi flour with 1/4 small apple for 5, 6 and 7 months old babies. (may not finish full if 5 or 6 months old)
1 tbsp flour with 1/2 small apple for 8 month (if your baby can finish, next increase the quantity of apple to 3/4, next attempt to increase the quantity of flour to 1.5 tbsps)
2 tbsp. for 10 months plus
3 tbsp. for 1 year plus with one large apple
4 tbsp for 18 months to 4 years old with a large apple
suggestion : make the quantity mentioned in the recipe box below, since it is very hard to cook small portions of food like a tsp and it may also get burnt if you are not careful. The excess food can be had by a older kid or by the mother, after making your own adjustments to it. The measures i gave above are just for you to know if you have fed a good quantity. Once cooked the quantity of porridge will be almost 3 to 4 times the amount of dry flour Plus the quantity of apple puree. So you can scale the cooked portion easily and feed.
Find apple ragi halwa recipe for babies, toddlers and kids
Apple ragi halwa | apple ragi porridge for babies, toddlers and kids
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- 3 to 4 tbsp ragi flour / finger millet flour
- 3/4 to 1 cup water
- 1 apple , small to large . (large apple for toddlers)
- 0.5 tsp ghee
- sweetener as needed (avoid for babies under 1 year, refer notes)
How to make the recipe
Wash and peel the skin of apple. Core and chop to pieces and add them to a blender and puree. You can blend it coarsely for toddlers. Set this aside.
Stir in 1 cup of water with flour in a pan and cook on a low to medium flame until the mixture thickens. Switch off the stove. Keep the pot covered for 2 minutes.
Add the apple puree, ghee and sweetener if using. Stir to mix well.
For babies under 1 year, you can completely avoid sweetener in this recipe. Just choose the sweet variety apple. For toddlers, you can use palm sugar, palm jaggery or regular jaggery. Try to use organic if you are accessible to it. Melt the palm sugar/ jaggery in water and filter it. use this filtered water to cook ragi.