Beans curry recipe – This beans recipe can be used to prepare any variety of beans like French beans, cluster beans, Chinese long beans, lima beans, averakai. Make sure you use tender beans and devein them well if needed. To make this beans curry, I have used long beans also called as borabati.
They taste absolutely great and tasty than any other beans. If these are available in your local markets, do try them, you will love it. I have made it with no garlic, no onion, no green chili, no ginger, and no coconut, if you wish you can add any of them.
How to make beans curry with step by step photos
1. Wash moong dal and soak for about 30 minutes. Drain them off. Chop the beans and put them to a bowl. Place the bowl in a pressure cook, allow to cook for 2 whistles. No water is added to the beans bowl. Heat oil in a pan, saute mustard, cumin and curry leaves. Add hing and ginger or garlic if using. Add tomatoes, turmeric and salt.
2. Cook until the tomatoes turn mushy. Add the drained moong dal, cooked beans and chili powder. You can also add garam masala or coriander powder. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes. If there is any stock from the pressure cooked beans, you can pour that to the curry and cook further until the water evaporates. Check if the dal is soft cooked otherwise cover and cook for sometime. Garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve beans curry with rice or chapati.
Beans curry recipe
Beans curry recipe | How to make beans curry | Beans recipes
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- 2 cups of beans chopped (french beans or cluster beans or long beans)
- handful of moong dal, pesara pappu
- ½ tsp crushed ginger (optional)
- 1/3 cup or 1 large tomato red and ripe (chopped)
- Coriander leaves chopped
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- Salt to taste
- ½ to ¾ tsp red chili powder
- 1 sprig of curry leaves
- ½ tsp cumin /jeera
- Pinch of mustard seeds
- Oil as needed
- Pinch of hing
- Wash and soak moong dal in enough water for at least 30 minutes. Make sure it is soaked thoroughly.
- Add water to a pressure cooker, add chopped beans to a bowl without adding any water. Place this bowl in the pressure cooker and cook for 2 whistles.
- Heat a pan with oil, add mustard, jeera and curry leaves, let them splutter, then add hing and ginger if using, saute.
- Add tomatoes, salt and turmeric. Fry the tomatoes till they turn fully mushy. After that cook for another 2 mins.
- Add the dal, beans, chili powder and salt as needed.
- Mix well and fry for 2 to 3 mins. If there is any stock left after cooking beans, just pour it and increase the flame to evaporate that water.
- Close the lid and cook for 2 to 3 mins till the beans turn tender and blend well with the tomato and chili powder. Also make sure dal is cooked fully.
- Add coriander leaves, coconut if desired. beans curry is ready.