Bread vada recipe – A quick snack recipe you can make with any kind of bread. These mixed vegetable bread vada can be made for an evening snack. These are very quick to make anytime since these are a instant snack which needs no soaking and no blending or grinding. First time I made these a few months ago when I had some unexpected guests home and everyone liked these.
We at home usually do not prefer to make fried snacks using bread but my kids keep asking me for these bread vada. I made these on a weekend with just 3 slices of bread which was left over after making sandwiches.
To make bread vada, white bread, milk or multi grain bread are good choices. The taste of the vada depends on the kind of bread used. Avoid using seeded breads or sprouted flour breads.
The key ingredients that add flavor to these is the garam masala, mint and coriander leaves, so do not skip them. I have used carrots and onions, you can also use blanched cabbage, boiled potatoes, mashed peas etc.
Video of bread vada recipe
Easy bread vada recipe
Bread vada recipe | Vegetable bread vada recipe | Bread snacks recipes
Bread vada are Indian style deep fried bread snack that are made by using bread slices, mix vegetables, herbs and spice powders. These are a good snack to enjoy with chutney or any sauce.
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- 3 bread slices
- ½ cup carrots grated (1 large)
- ¼ cup onions finely chopped (1 medium)
- 1 green chili chopped
- 1 red chilli cut - optional
- ½ tsp garam masala
- salt as needed
- handful mint or pudina - finely chopped
- handful coriander leaves - finely chopped
- ½ tsp ginger grated
- ¼ tsp cumin or jeera
- 2 tbsps rice flour or corn flour or maida
- 2 tbsp water
- oil for frying
How to make the recipe
Preparation for bread vada
Tear off the bread slices to pieces. Add them to a mixing bowl.
Add ginger, carrots, onions, pudina, coriander leaves, salt, green chili, red chili, cumin, garam masala. Mix them gently and check if water is needed. If the veggies used has lot of moisture then you may not need any water.
Add 1 to 2 tbsp water if needed and begin to mix.
Add rice flour and make a dough.
Making bread vada
Heat oil for frying. Divide the mixture to 7 to 8 parts and make balls.
Flatten them gently and make a patty. Do not make thick patties, they should be thin otherwise the vada will have the taste of dough.
Drop these in hot oil and fry on a medium heat.
These tend to turn brown quickly, so keep watching.
Fry them stirring often and flipping to both the sides.
When bread vada turns golden, remove them to a kitchen tissue.
Serve bread vada hot with any chutney or tea.
Preparation for bread vada snack
1. I have used multigrain bread.
2. Tear them to pieces.
3. Add ginger garlic paste, carrots, onions, chilies, pudina, green chilies and coriander leaves.
4. Next add in cumin and salt.
5. chop some red chilies and add that too. Sprinkle some garam masala as well.
6. Mix up everything and sprinkle some water.
7. Mix up and make a dough.
8. I used some rice flour to make them crispy.
9. Mix and make a stiff dough.
10. Divide the dough to 8 portions and make round balls. Then flatten them. Do not make them too thick. They must be thin.
11. Make them uniform and keep them in a plate.
How to make bread vada snack
12. Heat oil in a pan. When it is hot enough fry the bread vada.
13. Flip them and fry until golden and crisp on both sides.
14. When golden and crisp remove them.
15. Transfer to a kitchen tissue.
Serve bread vada as a evening snack with chutney, sauce or tea.