Chettinad egg curry recipe – A flavorful and tasty egg curry recipe from South Indian cuisine. Pairs wonderfully with almost anything like plain rice, jeera rice, chapathi, appam and even with a biryani.
This chettinad egg curry has roughly been adapted from my chettinad chicken curry recipe on the blog. The curry isn’t very hot but is moderately spicy which makes the gravy very flavorful.
How to make chettinad egg curry – step by step photos
1. Bring eggs to room temperature. Wash and boil them. Remove the shells and pierce them randomly with a fork few times. Set aside.
2. We need to make fresh chettinad masala for this recipe. The key to making this chettinad spice powder is roasting them right without burning otherwise it will lend a bitter taste. Heat a pan and dry roast red chilies and coriander seeds on a low to medium heat. If your red chilies turn crisp at any time during this process set them aside.
3. When the coriander seeds smell good, add green cardamom, saunf, cumin, pepper corn, cloves and cinnamon stick. Allow them to roast lightly, make sure the spices do not get over roasted otherwise it will lend a bitter taste.
4. Set aside the spices roasted earlier to prevent over roasting them. Ten add poppy seeds or cashews and saute for 2 mins. Then add grated or chopped coconut. I did all in the same pan but I suggest not to over fry the spices as it may lend a bitter taste. Saute until it smells good for 2 mins. Cool these completely.
5. Add them to a blender and powder finely.
6. Add little water and make a thick paste.
7. This step is optional. Most people like to use roasted eggs in gravy, so just showing it. I do not prefer to reheat cooked eggs. If you like to then proceed with heating a pan with 1 tsp ghee. Saute on a medium flame until golden and sprinkle some salt and chili powder. Set these aside.
8. To the same pan, add more oil and heat up. Allow mustard seeds to crackle, then saute curry leaves.
9. Add finely chopped onions or onion paste. Saute until golden.
10. Add ginger garlic paste and fry until the raw smell goes off. I had to interrupt cooking my curry for an hour, so onions were discolored.
11. Add finely chopped or pureed tomatoes.
12. Saute until the moisture from tomatoes evaporate. Make sure the raw smell of onion and tomato has gone completely.
13. Add the ground masala and then enough water to make a gravy.
14. When the gravy thickens & oil appears on top, add salt and stir. Check the salt and adjust as needed. Then add eggs. Stir well and add coriander leaves. You can simmer the eggs in the gravy for a while, but as i such do not do it. I just add them to the hot gravy and switch off the stove. Keep covered until served.
Serve with rice, chapathi, biryani or jeera rice.
Chettinad egg curry recipe
Chettinad egg curry recipe | South Indian egg curry recipes
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- 4 eggs boiled
- 1 large onion finely chopped or paste
- ¾ cup cubed tomatoes or ½ cup puree (2 No medium)
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- Salt as needed
- 2 to 3 tbsp oil
- few coriander leaves
For chettinad masala
- 1.5 tbsp poppy seeds or 8 cashews
- ¼ cup coconut chopped or grated
- 2 tsp coriander seeds/ dhaniya
- ¾ tsp fennel seeds / saunf
- ½ tsp cumin / jeera
- ¼ tsp pepper (optional)
- 3 to 5 red chilies (less spicy)
- 2 green cardamoms/ elaichi
- 3 cloves
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
How to make the recipe
Heat a pan and dry roast chilies and coriander seeds on a low flame. When they turn aromatic, add cumin, fennel, pepper, cloves, cinnamon and cardamoms. Toss and roast just for a min
Add coconut and saute until a nice aroma comes out. To the hot pan, add poppy seeds. Toss & Cool this and powder finely. Add little water and make a thick paste. Takle care not to overfry the spices or red chilies as it may lend a bitter taste.
Pierce eggs with a fork randomly. Add a tsp of oil and fry them until golden. Add a bit of chili powder and salt. Keep them aside.
Making chettinad egg curry
Add more oil and fry onions until golden. Add ginger garlic paste and saute until the raw smell disappears.
Add tomato puree and cook until the mixture thickens. Make sure the raw smell of onion and tomato has gone.
Add the ground paste and then water as needed to make gravy.
Cook on a medium heat until the gravy thickens. Add salt and check the taste. Add the roasted eggs and coriander leaves. Switch off or continue to cook the eggs in gravy for a while. Keep it covered until ready to serve.
Serve chettinad egg curry with chapathi or rice.