Ridge gourd is one of the most nutritious and easily digestible vegetable and is very commonly used in the South Indian cuisine. It is called as beerakaya in telugu and heerekai in kannada. This ridge gourd curry tastes great with roti/ chapathi and even puri,can also be had with rice.If you are looking for a gravy recipe then this might be the one for you.
Ridge gourd curry is prepared in many ways at home. The recipe iam sharing here uses chettinad masala, one of the most popular south indian masalas. This may not be a traditional chettinad masala, but lends a good flavor to the curry.Since poppy seeds are not available here in singapore, i used peanuts.
step by step photos of making ridge gourd curry
1. Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard, cumin , when they begin to splutter add curry leaves, chilies and onions. Fry till the onions turn transparent.
2. Add tomatoes, salt and turmeric and fry till the tomatoes completely turn mushy.
3. Add the ridge gourd and fry for one to 2 mins and cook covered until it begin to release moisture, for 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Add the ground masala and fry or cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Add water and cook till the gourd is soft and tender cooked.
Serve hot with chapathi, rice or roti.
Ridge gourd curry recipe below
- 500 grams tender ridge gourd (skin peeled and cut to small pieces)
- 3 medium size onions chopped finely
- 2 green chilies
- 1 large tomato chopped
- ½ tsp mustard
- ½ tsp cumin
- 2 tbsp Oil
- ¼ cup grated coconut (fresh or dry, any)
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp saunf
- 2 tbsp coriander seeds
- 4 cardamom
- 4 cloves
- One inch cinnamon stick
- 1 pod of star flower (not a full flower)
- 6 cashew nuts
- 2 tbsp. poppy seeds or peanuts
- 4 Kashmiri red chilies
- Dry roast the ingredients mentioned under “to roast & grind”. Cool them and grind with water to a smooth thick paste and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard, cumin, curry leaves and green chilies. Allow them to splutter.
- Add onions and fry them till they turn golden brown.
- Add tomatoes, turmeric and salt. Fry till the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Add ridge gourd, fry for a min. Cover and cook for 2 to 3 mins.
- Gourd releases moisture, add the ground masala, fry well for two to three minutes and add 1 cup of water.
- Cover and cook till the gourd is soft cooked and tender.
- Open the lid and cook till you get the desired consistency.
- Serve ridge gourd curry with rice or chapathi