Chicken biryani recipe made in pressure cooker or pot. Biryani is one of the most amazing royal delicacies introduced to Indians by the Mughals. Since then it has been much popular and is considered to be a luxurious treat to enjoy on special occasions. Making a chicken biryani in authentic dum style does take some time and needs little expertise.
The recipe shared here details a short cut method to make a simple one pot delicious chicken biryani in a pressure cooker or a pot or instant pot. So this is not a dum style biriyani yet it will surprise you with a good aroma and taste. Marinating and resting chicken makes it soft & succulent, so do not skip that.
To make a good biryani, alway use aged basmati rice. Though this dish is made in a pressure cooker, the texture of rice grains will come out right without getting mushy if made with aged rice.
You can use any readymade garam masala powder or biryani masala. I am also sharing the ingredients for an instant biriyani masala powder. If you do not have a readymade or store bought masala, you can make it in just few minutes.
This recipe yields a chicken biryani that isn’t too oily, spicy, hot or pungent as it looks to be in the pics. However you can reduce the amount of red chili powder if you do not prefer the heat. You can enjoy this with a Raita, Shorba and papads.
This is an updated post, you can find the original recipe here along with video. Both the recipes are same except I have replaced tomato with yogurt in the new recipe.
Chicken biryani in pressure cooker or pot
Chicken biryani recipe | Easy chicken biryani in pot or pressure cooker
Aromatic, delicious and spicy one pot chicken biryani made in pressure cooker or pot. This is a beginners recipe and can made with ease. Chicken biryani is served with raita or salan (gravy)
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
Marination ingredients for chicken biryani
Dry spices for chicken biryani recipe
- 1 bay leaf or tej patta
- 4 green cardamoms or choti elaichi
- 4 to 6 cloves or lavang
- 1 inch Cinnamon or dalchini
- 1 Star anise or chakri phool
- ¾ tsp shahi jeera or caraway seeds
- 1 strand mace or javitri
Other ingredients for chicken biryani
- 2 cups basmati rice or chawal (aged rice only)
- 2 tbsp ghee or Oil
- 1 onion large sliced thinly
- ½ cup mint (or pudina chopped - about 12 to 15 leaves)
- 1 green chili slit or chopped
- ¼ cup curd or 4 tbsps yogurt or dahi
- ¼ to ½ tsp. red chili powder (optional, skip for kids)
- 1 tsp biryani masala powder (or garam masala)
- ¼ tsp Salt to add to chicken
- 3 cups water or thin coconut milk (if using normal rice use more water)
- ¾ tsp salt to sprinkle in water
- 2 tbsps fried onions
To make biryani masala powder (or use 1 tbsp readymade biryani masala )
- small nutmeg piece or jaiphal
- 5 green cardamoms or choti elaichi
- ¼ to ½ tsp Pepper corn or kali mirch
- 5 cloves or lavang
- 1 to 2 inch cinnamon or dalchini
- ½ tsp fennel seeds or saunf
- ½ tsp stone flower or dagad phool or kalapasi (optional)
How to make the recipe
Preparation for chicken biryani
Make gashes on the chicken and add it to a bowl.
Marinate chicken with curd, ginger garlic paste, ½ tsp salt, biryani masala powder, turmeric and chili powder.
Set aside for 1 hour.
Wash basmati rice thrice and soak for 30 mins. Drain them after 30 mins to a colander.
How to make chicken biryani
Heat ghee or oil in a cooker or pot.
Add the dry spices to temper. Bay leaf, cardamoms, cloves, cinnamon, star anise, shahi jeera and mace.
Saute them for a minute.
Add onions. Fry stirring often until they turn light brown.
Add the marinated chicken. Saute for 5 mins on a medium heat.
Cover and cook on a low flame until the chicken is soft cooked.
Open the lid and saute for a minute to evaporate excess moisture in the cooker or pot.
Add curd, pudina, green chili, red chili powder, ¼ tsp salt, 1 tsp biryani masala.
Layering for chicken biryani
Mix everything well and layer chicken evenly at the bottom of the cooker.
Spread rice in a layer over the chicken.
Pour 3 cups water or thin coconut milk to a bowl. Add ½ to ¾ tsp salt and mix.
Taste the water. It must be slightly salty.
Pour 2 cups water across the sides of the cooker or pot.
Gently pour 1 cup water on top of the rice.
Level the rice if needed.
Sprinkle pudina & fried onions.
Set the flame to medium high if cooking in a cooker. If cooking in a pot, cover and cook on a medium flame.
Cover the cooker and place the whistle.
Cook for 1 whistle. Set the cooker away from the burner to stop cooking further. If making in a pot cook until the rice is soft cooked.
When the pressure goes down, remove the weight and open the lid.
Divide the chicken biryani to portions. Serve from top to the bottom layer such that each serving gets biryani rice from top and chicken from the bottom layer.
Enjoy with raita and sliced veggies, papad and shorba.
Video of Chicken biryani recipe in pressure cooker
Notes for chicken biryani recipe
Do not use sour curd. If the curd is slightly sour then skip using lemon juice.
I have used lalquilla basmati rice, old malai. Any other basmati rice may need less water. Make sure to use as needed.
Preparation for chicken biryani recipe
1. If using ready made biryani powder, skip this step. To make biryani masala powder, add nutmeg, cardamoms, pepper, cloves, cinnamon, fennel and stone flower to a mixer jar. Make a fine powder. Set this aside.
2. Add chicken to a bowl. Also add 3 tbsps curd to it.
3. Add ginger garlic paste, 1 tbsp biriyani masala powder, 1/2 tsp salt, red chili powder and turmeric. Reduce the amount of chili powder, if you have kids home.
4. Mix everything well and marinate the chicken. Cover and set this aside for 1 hour. You can also rest it overnight in the fridge.
5. Add basmati rice to a large pot and wash it at least thrice. Soak it for 30 mins. Drain to a colander after 30 mins.
6. Heat ghee or oil in a pressure cooker. Make sure you use a large cooker for this.
7. Add the spices and saute them for a minute.
8. Next add in onions too.
9. Saute until they turn light brown.
10. Add marinated chicken.
11. Saute the chicken on a medium heat for 5 mins.
12. Lower the flame completely. Cover and cook until the chicken is soft and completely cooked.
13. Check if the chicken is cooked. At this stage there is no moisture left in the cooker.
14. Check the salt and add as needed. I added about 1/4 tsp at this stage. Also add 4 tbsps curd, 1/4 to 1/2 tsp chili powder (optional), green chili, mint and biryani masala. I deseeded the chilies and used. Skip if you have kids home.
How to make chicken biryani recipe
15. Mix everything well. Spread it evenly in a single layer.
16. Spread the rice all over the chicken. Pour 3 cups water or coconut milk to a bowl and add salt. Stir and taste the water. It must be slightly salty. Pour 2 cups water across the sides of the cooker or pot.
17. Pour 1 more cup of water over the rice gently.
18. Level the rice gently on top. Add some pudina and fried onions. If you have not added salt to water earlier, sprinkle it now as needed. I used about 3/4 tsp sea salt. Do not mix up everything, the taste of the biryani cooked in the shown method is different.
19. Finally set the flame to medium high on a regular burner. Cover and cook for 1 whistle. Remove the cooker from the hot burner to stop cooking further.
20. When the pressure goes down, open the lid.
Serve chicken biryani in layers – top layer with rice and bottom layer with chicken.
Serve chicken biryani hot with raita or shorba.