Chilli chicken recipe with video – The most sought after chicken dish from Indo chinese cuisine is crispy chilli chicken. Years ago I had shared this dry chilli chicken recipe which uses less refined flour and sauces. It is one of the most loved chicken recipes on the blog and has been a favorite with many readers.
I had lot of readers requests for today’s version of chilli chicken that is crispy and more saucy. This can be enjoyed as a starter or can be accompanied with fried rice or noodles.
You can make the sauce ahead of time and set aside. But fry the chicken just before you are ready to enjoy it. Add it to the sauce and serve immediately. You can double or even triple the recipe, you may need to adjust the amount of sauces to suit your taste.
For health reasons, if possible use organic all-purpose flour & naturally brewed soya sauce.
Video of crispy chilli chicken recipe
Chilli chicken recipe card below
Chilli Chicken Recipe | Indo Chinese Crispy Chilli Chicken Recipe
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- 250 grams of boneless chicken cut to small cubes
- 2 tbsps yogurt/ curd/ dahi
- ½ cup water or as needed (do not use too much)
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp pepper powder
- ½ cup all-purpose flour / maida (prefer organic)
- ¼ cup corn starch / corn flour
- Water as needed (can be replace with egg)
- ½ tsp pepper powder
- oil as needed for deep frying
- 1 to 2 tbsp sesame or olive oil or any
- 1 tsp corn starch or corn flour
- 6 to 8 tbsps water
- Salt very little
- 1 tbsp soya sauce (prefer organic or naturally brewed without Msg)
- ¾ tbsp vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar)
- 1 tbsp red chili sauce
- 1 tsp sugar (add more if you prefer sweet)
- ½ tsp red chilli powder or paprika (optional)
- ½ tsp pepper coarsely crushed or powdered
- 1 tbsp ginger chopped or minced (optional)
- 1 tbsp garlic chopped or minced
- 1 to 2 green chilies or red chilies slit or sliced
- 1 large onion cubed layers separated
- ½ cup bell peppers / capsicum
- 2 to 3 sprigs of spring onions chopped
How to make the recipe
Wash the chicken well and drain it. Cut to bite sized pieces.
Add yogurt, water, salt and pepper to a bowl and whisk everything well.
Add drained chicken to the prepared brine liquid and set aside for 30 mins.
Meanwhile prepare the rest of the ingredients - chop ginger, garlic, slit green chili, cube onions and bell peppers.
After 30 mins drain the chicken completely.
Add corn flour and all purpose flour, salt and pepper. Mix well.
Add water as needed to coat the chicken well with the batter. Do not make a thin batter. Just make sure the batter is not of dripping consistency but has to be sticky.
Heat oil in a deep pan or kadai for dep frying.
Once the oil is hot enough, Put the flame to medium high. Drop the chicken pieces to the oil one after the other.
Keep stirring and fry them until crisp fried. You can check if the chicken pieces are cooked well.
Once the chicken is cooked well, lower the flame and fry them for another 1 to 2 mins to make them crispy.
Drain them to a kitchen tissue.
Mix 1 tsp corn flour / starch with 6 to 8 tbsps water
Heat oil in a pan on a medium heat.
Saute garlic, ginger and chili until they turn aromatic.
Add cubed onions or spring onion whites along with bell peppers.
Saute for 2 to 3 mins until the bell peppers are half done.
Add soya sauce, chilli sauce and vinegar.
Give a nice stir to the corn flour mixture. Pour that to the pan.
Keep stirring on a medium to low heat until the sauce thickens. It takes just 1 to 2 mins. Switch off the stove.
Allow the sauce to cool down a bit.
Add fried chicken bites to this and toss well to coat the chicken.
Garnish crispy chilli chicken with spring onion greens. Serve immediately else they begin to loose the crispness.