Chocolate banana cake recipe – moist and delicious cake with chocolate condensed milk frosting. Fairly easy recipe and can be tried even by beginners. I made this sometime ago, just before the kids school holidays started. This cake has eggs in it, you can also find an eggless chocolate banana cake here. I do not bake eggless cakes often as we prefer the ones with eggs for their texture.
This chocolate banana cake recipe is adapted from the banana cake I shared earlier. The recipe can be halved and baked in a loaf pan. It tastes good even without frosting. You may also like to check this banana bread recipe.
For more simple cake recipes, you can check out
Hershey’s chocolate cake
Chocolate banana cake recipe
Chocolate banana cake recipe with choco condensed milk frosting
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- 1 ½ cup + 2 tbsps wheat flour / atta or whole wheat pastry flour(refer notes)
- 6 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2.5 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup fine sugar (prefer organic around 215 grams)
- ½ cup + 1 tbsp soft or melted butter (135 grams)
- 2 eggs beaten
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup + 2 tbsp luke warm water ( 2 tbsp more if using whole wheat flour)
- 1 cup ripe banana puree (about 3 medium bananas)
How to make the recipe
Preheat the oven at 160 C for at least 15 mins.
Grease a tray and line with a parchment paper. This recipe has been tried in a 8 * 8 brownie pan and 7 inch round pan.
Mix and sieve together flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa. Set aside.
Add water to a mixing bowl. Then add sugar, beaten eggs, soft butter, banana puree and vanilla. Mix together.
Add flour in batches and mix until it is just combined and lump free.
Making chocolate banana cake
Transfer this to the greased tray. Bake for about 40 to 50 mins. Keep an eye after 40 mins. A skewer inserted comes out clean.
Allow the cake to cool down for about 5 to 7 mins.
Invert it on a rack and cool it completely.
Cut banana cake with a cake or bread knife.
Flour: I haven't tried this recipe using only plain flour. I have tried with
1. whole wheat flour / atta
2. half wheat flour and half whole wheat pastry flour
3. 1 cup wheat flour and the rest unbleached plain flour.
Water: 2 tbsps extra has to be used if using only whole wheat flour / atta. For the entire recipe you will use 3/4 cup water
How to make chocolate banana cake recipe
1. Grease a baking tray and line with parchment paper. Preheat the oven at 160 C for at least 15 mins. Sieve flour, cocoa, salt and baking powder. I also used a bit of ceylon cinnamon powder, its optional. Mix them up well for uniform mixing. Set aside.
2. Measure sugar, beat the eggs in a bowl, puree banana in a blender. Measure it and add in vanilla. Soften the butter and measure. During my several trials i felt pureed banana yielded a better texture.
3. Add water to a mixing bowl. I use luke warm water for the sugar to melt quickly.
4. Add sugar and stir well. Add in butter, beaten eggs and mashed banana.
5. Whisk them all. Do not over do.
6. Add half of the flour. Mix and add the rest.
7. Mix well and break up any lumps.
8. Add it to a greased or lined tray. Tap a few times on the kitchen counter. Bake for 40 to 50 mins at 160 C.
9. A skewer inserted has to come out clean. When i made this i baked at 170 C, that resulted in the cracks. The next time baked at 160 C and increased 2 tbsp water. It turned out perfect with very few light cracks. Do read the notes mentioned in the recipe card to prevent this.
10. Allow it to cool for about 5 to 7 minutes. Lift up with the parchment paper or invert it on a rack. Allow it to cool completely if you like to frost. You can enjoy it when it is warm or go ahead frosting. You can choose your favorite frosting. I made a chocolate condensed milk frosting from allrecipes since it is very easy and quick to make.
11. Add 1 tin condensed milk along with 60 grams or 2 oz unsweetened chocolate to a heavy bottom pan.
12. Melt them on a medium flame stirring continuously.
13. You will need to keep stirring to prevent burning the bottom.
14. It turns to luscious chocolate. Switch off the stove. Make sure the chocolate has completely melted before you take off the flame. Add 1 tsp vanilla and 1 tbsp water. Stir well. Set aside to cool down. This frosting is sufficient for 2 layered cake. If making a single layer cake, then you will be left with some which you can use up for spreading over bread toasts, or top over the waffles, cup cakes or ice creams. Just add a few tbsps water, stir and warm up.
15. Pour the frosting in the center and begin to spread evenly. Repeat spreading it with a spatula until you see a good smooth finish on top. Any excess left on the edges can be spreaded on the sides.
16. After a while, it begins to set. You can sprinkle some grated chocolate or sprinkles or choco shavings. I used chocolate sunflower seeds.
You can cut after 15 mins.