Chocolate chip cookies recipe for the holiday season. School holidays have just begun for my boys and this is what i chose to bake for them. These cookies are made using whole wheat flour and are one of the best that i can ever make. They are delicious with a nice nutty flavor and crispy.
These make a wonderful treat to share with friends or kids around. This recipe has roughly been adapted from here. I tried these last year during dec holidays and got hooked to them since then. I have made these a few times with slight changes each time which i have mentioned below.
How to make chocolate chip cookies using whole wheat flour
1. Preheat the oven to 180 C. This recipe makes 24 cookies, i used 2 trays to bake them. Greased the trays lightly and then lined the parchment paper. You can also use aluminum foil, you may need to cut down the baking time slightly. If you do not have an option to use 2 trays at a time, I suggest refrigerating half of the dough until the first batch is done.
2. Add whole wheat flour, salt and baking soda to a bowl. I also like to add a bit of ceylon cinnamon powder, that is optional but adds a good flavor. ¼ to 1/3 of a tsp goes good in this recipe.
3. Mix them up. Make sure there are no lumps of any ingredients we used above. Set this aside.
4. In a bowl, beat together sugar and butter on a medium high speed until creamy. Takes around 3 mins in a stand mixer or hand held mixer. You can use ¾ cup brown sugar and ½ cup sugar. I used organic turbinado sugar which also works very well for this recipe. You can also use white sugar.
5. Add vanilla and egg.
6. Beat together just until combined well.
7. Add Flour mix from step 2. Mix until well combined.
8. Add chopped hazel nuts, you can skip these or substitute with almonds, cashews or walnuts. You can even add just a fistful of mixed nuts.
9. Add chocolate chips. You can use mini chips as well. i reduced the quantity of choco chips to half mentioned in the original recipe.
10. Mix everything well.
11. Divide the dough to 2 parts and then each to 12 equal parts. Shape them to balls and place them on a parchment paper. Slightly flatten them as desired. If you like the thick cookies, then u can flatten them only a little. We prefer them to be flatter since they turn more crunchy.
12. Make sure there is enough space in between the dough balls since they spread while baking. Bake for 12 to 14 mins or until they turn golden. After 9 mins of baking, i swap the trays (move top tray to bottom and vice versa) so that they get baked alike.
13. Cool them on a wire rack. Store in a air tight jar. They keep good at room temperature for 3 days and for 10 days in refrigerator.
chocolate chip cookies recipe below
- 2 cups or 225 grams whole wheat flour / atta
- 1 ¼ cup or 250 grams sugar ( ¾ cup brown sugar, ½ cup sugar)
- ¾ cup or 175 grams unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp cinnamon (optional)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (can double)
- ½ cup almonds or hazelnuts (can double) (optional)
- Preheat the oven at 180 C. Grease a tray and line the parchment paper.Set these aside.
- Mix together flour, salt, cinnamon and baking soda. Make sure there are no lumps. Keep this aside.
- Beat butter and sugar until creamy for 2 to 3 mins on a medium high speed.
- Add egg, vanilla and repeat beating just until combined.
- Add the flour and mix until well combined.
- Add choco chips and nuts. Mix and scoop the dough into 22 to 24 equal parts on a parchment paper.
- Bake the chocolate chip cookies for 14 mins. I suggest checking after 12 mins.