Coconut barfi recipe using mawa or khoya – Traditionally barfi was made by condensing milk and sugar for very long hours to get a rich taste. Milk is the key ingredient that adds rich taste to any barfi including the traditional way of making coconut barfi. Traditionally coconut burfi was made with flour or semolina, dried coconut, ghee, sugar and milk which is rarely made these days due to the prolonged process.
There are many quick alternate versions of making coconut barfi and the recipe shared here is one of them. It comes very close to the traditional one due to the addition of mawa or khoya.
This recipe can be made using dried coconut / copra but I have made it with desiccated coconut. You can also make this with fresh coconut but the taste would be different and turns out moist. With desiccated coconut the barfi turns out non sticky & dry like the ones sold in sweet shops but with a mouth melting texture.
Coconut barfi recipe
- 2 cups desiccated coconut (150 grams)
- 1 ½ cups grated or crumbled mawa / khoya (150 grams)
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ tsp cardamom powder / Elaichi
- 1 tsp ghee
- Pistachios & almonds chopped as desired
- Grease the pan with ghee. Add mawa, sugar and begin to heat on a low to medium heat.
- Add milk and allow mawa to completely melt.
- Add desiccated coconut, cardamom powder and mix well.
- Cook on a medium heat until the mixture turns thick and begins to leave the sides of the pan.
- It turns to a mass.
- Grease the pan and transfer the mixture to it.
Video of Coconut barfi recipe with mawa
How to make coconut barfi recipe
1. Heat a pan with very little ghee. This is just to grease the pan to prevent the food sticking up at the bottom.
2. Add mawa / khoya.
3. Add sugar.
4. Mix and begin to heat up.
5. Add milk.
6. Add coconut and cardamom powder. Mix together and cook on a medium heat stirring often.
7. Under 2 to 4 minutes, the mixture becomes hot and thickens. It turns to a mass. This is the right stage to switch off.
8. Pour this to a greased tray. You can also do it over a foil or butter paper.
9. Spread it evenly and add sliced nuts. Press down with a spatula. Cut them to squares while still warm. Allow to cool down completely before removing. They will be soft set till they are warm and begin to firm up once cooled. So do not remove until it turns cool completely.
Transfer coconut barfi to a airtight jar.