Coconut ladoo recipe with video & step by step photos – One of the Indian sweets recipes that can very easily be made for any festival. These can be made using fresh coconut or desiccated coconut, with sugar or jaggery to suit ones taste. I made these with desiccated coconut, sugar and milk. But they can be made using fresh coconut or frozen coconut as well.
I have also shared 2 other recipes, coconut laddu made using desicatted coconut & condensed milk. Another one is this coconut ladoo with jaggery. If using fresh or frozen coconut, the amount of milk used in the recipe is either scaled down to half or the milk is simmered till it reduces to half the quantity and then the coconut and sugar are added.
To make coconut ladoo recipe, I have doubled the ingredients and made 24 ladoos. In the step by photos you will find the quantity of ingredients more than mentioned in the recipe.
You may like to check these 10 Coconut Recipes.
Video of coconut ladoo
Recipe of coconut ladoo or nariyal ladoo
Coconut ladoo recipe | How to make coconut ladoo (laddu) | Nariyal ladoo
Easy coconut ladoo recipe made with fresh coconut and sugar, made the traditional way for festivals and celebrations.
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- 2 cups coconut (fresh or desiccated)
- 1 cup milk (1/2 cup if using fresh coconut) (refer notes)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 tsp. green cardamom powder
- cashews broken as needed
- 1 tsp ghee.
How to make the recipe
Heat ghee in a pan, add nuts and roast till golden. Set them aside.
To the same pan, add coconut, milk and sugar. If using desiccated coconut set the pan aside for 15 minutes for the coconut to soak well.
Cook till the mixture thickens and all the moisture evaporates completely.
Add cardamom powder and nuts. Mix well.
Making coconut ladoo
Cool the mixture slightly. When it comes down to warm temperature, roll the mixture to balls. When they are still warm and moist you can also roll them in desiccated coconut.
Store coconut laddu in an airtight jar and refrigerate. Use within 5 to 7 days.
To make coconut laddu, if using fresh coconut, you can use only half cup milk or boil one cup milk till it thickens and reduces to half cup. Then add sugar and coconut.
How to make coconut ladoo recipe
1. Add coconut, sugar and milk to a pan.
2. Mix well and leave aside for about 15 minutes.
3. Begin to cook, stirring often to prevent burning. The mixture becomes gooey when the sugar begins to melt.
4. Cook till the mixture gets cooked well and all the moisture evaporates. The mixture should not be soggy else they will not get a good shape when rolled. Add roasted nuts, cardamom powder and stir well. Set aside till the temperature comes down.
5. When the temperature comes down to warm, take small portions of the mixture and roll to balls. You can also roll them in desiccated coconut if you prefer. To roll the balls in coconut make sure the balls are still warm and moist.
Store coconut ladoo in an airtight jar. Refrigerate and use with in 5 to 7 days.