Curd rice recipe – It is more often eaten by the south Indians as a part of meal. It makes a great summer food as well. Rice and yogurt are the 2 main ingredients that go towards making this. It is called as thayir sadam in tamil and daddojanam in telugu. Yogurt rice can be made in different ways. Iam sharing the most common method today. Cooked rice is mixed with curd and then tempered to make it mildly flavorful.
For more simple south Indian rice recipes, you can check
You can also check this temple curd rice or daddojanam recipe we make during summers or for naivedyam, lunch box or travel is a different from the one shared here. The recipe shared here in this post is how we make at home. You can also garnish this with pomegranate seeds.
South Indian curd rice recipe below
Curd rice recipe | How to make curd rice recipe (yogurt rice) | Thayir sadam
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- ½ cup rice (¼ cup white rice ¼ cup brown rice or millets)
- 1 to 1 ½ cup thick curd or yogurt (adjust as needed)
- ¼ cup milk (optional)
- salt as needed
- 2 tbsp. grated carrot
- 2 tbsp. grated cucumber or bottle gourd
- 1 tsp. finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- pinch hing or asafoetida
- ½ tsp minced or crushed ginger
- 1 slit green or red chili
- ½ tsp cumin or jeera
- ½ tsp mustard
- ¾ to 1 tsp urad dal or minapa pappu (optional)
- ¾ to 1 tsp chana dal (optional)
How to make the recipe
Wash and soak rice for 20 to 30 minutes.
Add 1 & ½ cups water,salt to the cooker, soft cook the rice.
Fluff up the rice or mash lightly to suit your liking. Cool it completely.
Add curd to cooled rice. Mix well until combined.
If using milk, add it as well and stir. Milk can be skipped if curd is fresh and the curd rice is going to be served within an hour.
Making curd rice
Heat oil in a pan.
Add cumin and mustard.
When they begin to splutter, add dals and fry until golden.
Add ginger, chili and curry leaves.
When the curry leaves turn crisp, add hing and turn off the stove. If using bottle gourd, add it to the hot seasoning and stir.
Add coriander leaves, grated carrots and cucumbers to the yogurt rice.
Pour the seasoning and mix. South indian style curd rice is ready.
How to make curd rice or thayir sadam recipe
1. Add rice to a pressure cooker. You can use only white rice. I prefer to use matta rice / brown rice and white rice in equal proportions. This is one good way to include brown rice in the diet. Using all brown rice also yields good curd rice. You can even add a handful of millets or replace brown rice with millets.
2. Wash and soak for about 20 to 30 minutes. Add 1 ½ cups fresh water and salt as needed.
3. Pressure cook on a medium flame for one whistle. This may vary depending on the brand of cooker you own. We need to soft cook the rice.
4. Fluff up the rice or mash it. I prefer to fluff up. Cool completely. Adding curd to hot rice will coagulate the curd (like curdled).
5. Add fresh curd to the rice. Mix until just combined. Add more or less curd to bring the yogurt rice to consistency. I suggest adding milk, if yogurt is sour or you are going to serve it after an hour or more. Usually little milk is added to make thayir sadam but i do not use since i always use fresh curd and serve right away.
6. Heat oil in a pan, temper with tempering ingredients. Switch off the stove. If using grated bottle gourd, add it to the pan and saute for a minute.
7. Add veggies and seasoning to the curd rice. Stir well. Adjust salt if needed.