Egg kurma recipe – kurma or korma is a saucy dish originated in central Asia and is made of spices, meat, vegetables, yogurt, seeds or nut paste. This simple egg kurma is roughly adapted from few South Indian recipes that I have already shared. It pairs very well with any biryani, rice pulao, parotta or even with chapathi. When ever I have guests for a meal, I prefer to make this to go with any kind of chicken biryani or veg biryani or even pulao since it is quick if we have boiled eggs ready.
How to make south Indian style egg kurma recipe
1. Boil the eggs, remove the shells and make few incisions randomly and set aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan, add cinnamon, star anise, cloves, jeera or shahi jeera and bay leaf. You can also add crushed saunf or fennel seeds. I used it along with the other spice powders later. Do not use too many spices if you are making this to go with a biryani, stick on to the quantity mentioned in the recipe.
3. Add finely chopped onions, chilli and fry. Finely chopped yields a good gravy.
4. When the onions turn golden, fry ginger garlic paste till the raw smell goes off.
5. Add chopped onions, turmeric and salt. Fry until the tomatoes turn mushy. While the tomatoes cook, make a fine paste of coconut and poppy seeds or cashews. You can also add fennel seeds/saunf to the blender and make a fine paste together using little water. Set the paste aside till we need it.
6. Add garam masala, chili powder and saunf if you have not added at step 2 or 5.
7. Mix and fry until the raw smell of chili powder is gone.
8. Add the coconut paste.
9. Fry until it begins to smell good or it begins to leave the sides of the pan. This step takes about 3 to 5 minutes depending on how thin or thick your paste is.
10. Add eggs, coriander and pudina. I did not have pudina so did not use. But i suggest using for a good flavor. Fry for about 2 to 3 minutes. You can also saute the eggs in oil at step 2 and add them to the pan now. Fried eggs do lend a nice flavor to the korma.
11. Pour water just enough to partially cover the eggs and cook on a low flame. Stir in between.
12. After a while the kurma thickens and oil begins to float lightly. Add coriander and switch off.
Egg kurma ready to serve with biryani, parotta and pulav.
Egg kurma recipe below
Egg kurma recipe | South Indian style egg korma recipe
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- 4 eggs , boiled
- 1 to 1 ½ tbsp oil
- 1 bay leaf , small
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 green cardamom
- 1 strand mace , thin
- 1 star anise , small
- ½ tsp shahi jeera or jeera / cumin
- ¾ cup onions , finely chopped , (2 medium)
- 1 green chili , Slit
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- ¾ cup tomatoes , roughly chopped
- 1 pinch turmeric
- salt as needed
- 1 tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp coriander powder (optional)
- ¼ tsp fennel seeds / saunf
- 1 handful mint /pudina and coriander leaves
- 3 tbsp coconut , chopped coconut pieces or grated
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds or 8 cashew nuts
How to make the recipe
Saute spices in oil until they begin to crackle.
In the same pan, fry onions until golden. Saute ginger garlic until the raw smell vanishes.
To the onions add tomatoes, turmeric and salt. Fry until they turn soft.
Add spice powders and fry until fragrant.
Add coconut paste and fry until fragrant again.
Add eggs and fry for a while.
Add water just enough to cover the eggs partially.
Switch off when the gravy reaches a desired consistency. Add few chopped coriander leaves.