Eggless chocolate cake recipe with video & step by step photos – This simple moist, soft chocolate cake has no butter, no eggs, no milk in it except for the frosting which uses little butter & milk. This cake is made with almost very basic ingredients and is popularly known as wacky cake or depression cake. It was born during the world war 2 as a result of introducing the rationing system by the British government to overcome the food shortages.
This cake was baked during those times as it needed only the basic ingredients like flour, oil, soda and sugar. Ingredients like eggs, milk and butter which were in shortage were not needed.
This eggless chocolate cake is one of the quickest and can be made even by a beginner without any hassles. This recipe had been very popular almost a decade ago and had come in many food magazines and columns.
It turns out very soft, moist, spongy and very light. A simple whipped cream frosting or chocolate buttercream frosting goes well on this cake.
Here are some of the useful notes on eggless chocolate cake:
1. Can maida/ plain flour be replaced with wheat flour? – Yes, But the cake turns dense and the flavor alters too. If you like to try, add in 1 to 2 tbsps more of water.
2. Can I use butter instead of oil? Not sure but melted butter may work.
3. Can I replace water with milk? Milk in a chocolate cake sometimes lend a bitter taste. You can experiment.
Here are some tips to make the best wacky cake
1. Make sure you use good quality baking soda. Do not increase the quantity of soda as it may leave a bitter taste. If possible use aluminium free baking soda.
2. Use good quality vinegar that is meant for cooking. If possible use apple cider vinegar.
3. If using aluminum cake pan, do use parchment paper to line the cake pan else the cake may turn bitter.
Video of eggless chocolate cake recipe
Eggless chocolate cake recipe below
Eggless chocolate cake recipe | How to make eggless chocolate cake
Vegan chocolate cake, called as wacky cake or depression cake. Turns out soft and moist.
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
Ingredients for eggless chocolate cake
- 1 ½ cups Plain flour or maida prefer organic or unbleached flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder use good quality cocoa
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 cup sugar prefer organic, or 1.5 cups jaggery, coconut sugar, palm sugar
- 1 cup Water
- 1/3 cup oil coconut or canola or light olive oil
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice or apple cider vinegar or plain vinegar, use good quality
- 1 tbsp Vanilla extract
For chocolate buttercream frosting
- ¼ cup unsalted butter soft but cold
- 3 tbsps cocoa powder good quality
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar or icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 to 2 ½ tbsps milk or whipping cream
How to make the recipe
Preparation for eggless chocolate cake recipe
Preheat the oven to 170 C for at least 15 mins.
Grease a 8 or 9 inch round cake pan & drizzle some flour on it. or Line with a parchment paper. Set aside.
Mix plain flour, cocoa,salt and baking soda. Sieve the mix at least twice to aerate the flour .
Add sugar and mix it well.
How to make eggless chocolate cake
Make a well in the center. Pour water,oil, vanilla and lemon juice or vinegar.
Gently begin to mix well. Do not over mix.
Pour it to the cake pan. Knock it a few times against the kitchen counter.
Bake for 25 to 28 mins. Check after 23 mins. To check if it is completely baked, insert a skewer in the center of the cake and check. It must come out clean.
Allow it to cool down for 8 to 10 mins.
Invert it gently on a wire rack. Allow it to cool completely.
You can frost the cake if you like or just sprinkle some powdered sugar.
This eggless chocolate cake tastes best the next day.
Making frosting for eggless cake
Add butter to a large bowl and beat it until soft and fluffy. You can use a hand mixer or just a whisk.
Add cocoa and powdered sugar to a sieve. Sieve it well.
Add vanilla and 2 tbsps milk or cream. Mix them up lightly.
Then whisk or beat until everything turns smooth fluffy and light. It must be of spreadable consistency. If it is too thick, then add another half to 1 tbsp milk or cream. Beat well until it reaches a good consistency.
Spread a tbsp of frosting on your cake stand. Place 4 - 2 by 8 inch parchment paper strips across the four sides of the cake stand. Place the cake over these papers with the frosting beneath the cake. Do not over beat else the butter begins to melt. If needed you can keep it in the fridge for a while.
Scoop off a good amount of frosting to the cake. Begin to spread from the center and then towards the sides. Place the cake in the fridge for about 40 mins. Then smoothen the cake with a spatula. Remove the parchment papers gently.
Eggless chocolate cake is ready.
Notes on eggless chocolate cake recipe
If using jaggery / palm sugar / coconut sugar, do use one without soda content. Dissolve it in water and then filter it.
How to make eggless chocolate cake
1. Preheat the oven to 170 C. Grease a cake pan and drizzle some flour all over on the sides and bottom. Invert it & pat it off over the kitchen sink to remove the excess flour. If using a aluminum pan, I highly suggest using parchment paper to line the cake tray. If not then the cake may turn bitter due to the soda in the cake batter.
2. Place a sieve over a large mixing bowl. Add flour, cocoa, salt and soda.
3. Mix them gently. Sieve them together twice. This aerates the flour and makes the cake light.
4. Add sugar and mix well.
5. Make space for the liquid ingredients in the center.
6. Pour water.
7. Pour oil. I have used organic virgin coconut oil. Do use some light oil otherwise the cake may smell oily.
8. Add vanilla extract.
9. Add freshly squeezed lemon juice or vinegar. Make sure you use a good quality vinegar. I have used organic apple cider vinegar.
10. Mix all these well gently just until well combined.
11. You will notice that the cake batter begins to bubble up. The acidic ingredient vinegar or lemon juice begins to react with the baking soda. Do not over mix at this stage, it may make the cake dense.
12. Pour the cake batter to the pan. Knock it to the kitchen counter a few times.
13. Bake it in the preheated oven for 25 to 28 mins. Check after 25 mins. The timings may vary depending on the oven. So bake it until the skewer inserted comes out clean.
14. Allow it to cool down for 8 to 10 mins. Invert it on a cake rack.
15. Remove the parchment papers. Cool it completely. If you prefer to frost you can do a chocolate frosting or you can just dust some powdered sugar and some sprinkles.
This eggless chocolate cake tastes best the next day. It keeps good at room temperature for 2 days and in the fridge for 6 to 7 days.
I made a super quick chocolate buttercream frosting, please follow the recipe card for details.