Eggless Christmas fruit cake recipe – Moist,soft,light and delicious eggless fruit cake made without alcohol. This simple recipe is one of the most quick & easiest that anyone can make with great success. Most fruit cake recipes call for soaking the dried fruits in alcohol for several days to weeks. But the recipe shared here is an instant one which doesn’t require you to soak them in advance.
To make this eggless fruit cake, you can use any of your favorite dried fruits likes raisins, dried dates, figs, apricots, berries and glace cherries. You can also skip glace cherries if you want to avoid artificial colors. Just replace them with some dried cranberries as they add similar color to the fruit cake. You can use cashew nuts, almonds and walnuts in any proportions to make them 100 grams.
This cake can be made using all purpose flour/ maida or whole wheat/ atta. Using wheat flour would make the cake slightly dense but still tastes very good. I have used melted butter this time but it also works well with oil. Towards the end of this post, I have shared few pics of the same recipe made using wheat flour and oil which I had made few years ago.
Video of eggless christmas fruit cake
Eggless christmas fruit cake recipe
Eggless christmas fruit cake recipe | How to make fruit cake
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
Dry fruits (150 grams, use any of your choice)
- 40 grams of raisins (4 tbsp chopped)
- 30 grams apricots (3 tbsp chopped)
- 60 grams glace cherries (6 tbsps chopped)
- 20 grams cranberries (2 tbsps chopped)
- 20 grams citrus peels (2 tbsps chopped, use more if desired)
- 3/4 cup or 180 ml hot water (3/4 cup + 1.5 tbsp or 200 ml if using atta)
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- 1 tbsp. vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 to 1 cup brown sugar (about 170 to 200 grams)
- 1/3 cup oil or melted butter (about 80 ml)
- 120 ml orange juice or apple juice
- 100 grams of chopped nuts (cashew nuts, walnuts, almonds)
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 3/4 cups wheat flour/atta or maida/ all-purpose flour (about 210 grams)
Spices (or use spice extract or just skip)
- 1.5 grams ceylon cinnamon or true cinnamon about 1/2 tsp ground
- 8 cloves
- nutmeg small piece or 1/3 tsp grated
How to make the recipe
Chop all dry fruits and nuts to small bits. Keep the nuts separately.
Add raisins, apricots, cranberries and citrus peels to a large mixing bowl.
Bring 3/4 cup water to a boil. If using whole wheat flour use 1.5 tbsps more. Pour the hot water over the dry fruits. Leave them aside to cool.
Add cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg to a mini spice jar. Make a fine powder. You can also add a tbsp of sugar to the spices to help them powder finely. Set this aside to cool.
When the mixture cools down, preheat the oven to 170 C for at least 15 mins.
Add the brown sugar, melted butter, orange juice, vanilla and vinegar to the fruit mixture. Stir everything well.
In another mixing bowl, sieve together flour, salt, spice powder and soda. You can discard any coarse bits of spices.
Mix up the flour well once more and make a well in the center.
When the oven is hot enough and past 12 to 15 mins, then give the fruit mixture a good stir. Pour it to the flour all at once. Make sure the fruit mixture has cooled down before adding it to flour.
Mix gently with a spatula until you see no streaks of flour.
Add in cherries and chopped nuts. Gently give it a good stir. Do not over mix.
Pour this to a cake pan. Knock the pan twice to the kitchen counter. Don't over do this as the nuts will settle at the bottom.
Keep it in the oven and bake at 170 C for 35 to 40 mins. If using a 8 inch pan it takes about 40 mins. If using a 9 inch pan it will be done around 32 to 34 mins. If baking in a loaf pan it takes about 50 to 55 mins.
When the cake is done, a skewer inserted comes out clean.
Cool the cake in the pan for 10 to 15 mins.
Invert it on a wire rack carefully. Cool it completely before slicing.
You can dust some powdered sugar over the eggless fruit cake.
How to make eggless christmas fruit cake
1. Using a good spice mix to make the fruit cake is very important as it enhances the flavor. I have used homemade spice powder using cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. You can also use dry ginger powder if you prefer the aroma. If you want to make it just add the 3 ingredients to a spice jar and powder it finely. I have also added 1 tbsp of sugar to help the spices blend easily. Set this aside.
2. Grease a 8 or 9 inch cake tray and dust it with flour. Instead of flour, you can also use a parchment paper or grease proof paper to line the cake pan. You can also use a loaf pan. If using aluminum pan it is good to line the pan.
3. These are the dry fruits and nuts I have used. I usually skip the glace cherries from this recipe and use mixed berries. If you prefer to avoid the artificial colors then just replace the glace cherries with dried cherries or berries. You can also add more citrus peels if you prefer. But 20 grams was good enough for our taste buds. Preparing the fruits and nuts does take some time so it is good to prepare in advance.
4. Add chopped raisins, citrus peels, cranberries and apricots to a large mixing bowl.
5. Bring water to a boil and pour them over the dry fruits. Actually this is a boiled cake recipe where all the dried fruits are briefly boiled in water to soften the fruits. In the recent years I started to feel boiling them does affect the flavor of the fruits & cake so I prefer to just pour hot water to them.
6. Leave them to soak until the mixture turns cool or warm.
7. The fruits get soaked in the hot water and turn soft.
8. Add brown sugar to the mixture. The recipe works well with 150 to 200 grams of brown sugar depending on the kind of dried fruits used. If using dates 150 grams would be sufficient. I have used 1 cup packed i.e 200 grams. So use to suit your taste.
9. Add salt.
10. Pour orange or apple juice. I used freshly squeezed unsweetened orange juice without pulp.
11. Add 1 tbsp lemon juice or vinegar. I have used organic apple cider vinegar. Avoid cheap vinegar as it can make the cake bitter.
12. Add vanilla extract. You can also skip this since the flavors from the spice mix is good enough.
13. Pour melted butter or oil.
14. Mix them all to dissolve the sugar. Set this aside.
15. Preheat the oven to 170 C for at least 15 mins.
16. Fluff up the flour in the jar and spoon it to the measuring cups. Level the cups with a spatula. Add it to a sieve placed over a mixing bowl. Then add soda.
17. Add the spice powder. Sieve them all together.
18. If using wheat flour, then repeat the process thrice. This makes the cake light and less denser.
19. The batter needs to go into the oven right after mixing the wet and dry ingredients. So make sure the oven is hot enough before you begin to mix the both. Stir the fruit mix well. Pour it to the flour.
20. Mix the batter gently just until combined. Do not over mix. Add in the chopped cashews, almonds and cherries.
21. Gently mix in.
22. Pour it to the cake pan. Knock it gently to the kitchen top only twice. Do not over do as the nuts will settle at the bottom.
23. Bake the cake for 35 to 40 mins if you have used a 8 inch pan. If using a 8½ by 4½ loaf pan, you will have to bake for 50 to 55 mins. Please do adjust the timing based on the size of your pan. When the cake is done, a tester inserted comes out clean.
24. Cool the cake for 15 mins. Invert the cake on a wire cake.
25. Cool the cake completely.
Slice Eggless Christmas fruit cake once cooled completely.
Eggless Fruit cake made with wheat flour