Eggless pancake recipe – Making these light and fluffy eggless pancakes with whole wheat flour is no rocket science to master. These are one of the easiest to make even by beginners. These eggless pancakes are great to enjoy for a breakfast or a meal. Fruit jam, maple syrup, chocolate syrup, whipped cream, fresh fruits and ice cream are some of the toppings that go well on these pancakes.
I have used whole wheat flour / atta but you can also make these using all purpose flour. To make the recipe Vegan, you can replace butter with oil and milk with any vegan milk.
These pancakes also keep good in the kids’ lunch box. You can pour some honey, melted chocolate, chocolate syrup, maple syrup or spread jam over them.
To make these eggless pancakes, I have just followed the standard rule and made self rising flour by mixing baking powder with wheat flour. So if you have self rising flour, you can use that and skip baking powder in the recipe.
Video of eggless pancake recipe
Eggless pancake recipe
Eggless pancake recipe | How to make eggless pancakes with wheat flour
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- 1 to 1 ½ tbsp butter or oil
- 1 ½ cups full fat milk or vegan milk
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 cup wheat flour / atta (or all purpose flour)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ to ½ tsp cinnamon powder or 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 2 to 3 tbsp milk optional if needed
How to make the recipe
Melt butter in a sauce pan or microwave it in a mixing bowl for 20 to 30 seconds on high.
Add milk to the sauce pan and warm it. or You can pour it to the mixing bowl and microwave it for 30 seconds on high.
Add sugar to melted butter and warm milk. Mix all of these.
Butter must melt completely. The mixture has to be warm or at least at room temperature. Avoid cold milk as it forms lumpy batter.
Place a sieve over the sauce pan. Add flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon powder.
Mix them lightly and sieve.
Mix the flour and milk mixture just until combined. Small lumps here and there are just okay.
Do not over mix the batter else the pancakes may turn flat.
The pancake batter has to be thick but of pouring consistency. If needed you can warm up 2 to 3 tbsps milk and add it to the batter if it is too thick.
Grease a griddle or pan and heat it.
The pan has to be moderately hot enough for the pancakes to turn fluffy. If it is very hot, pancakes turn brown.
Pour one ladle full of batter. Do not spread the batter, it spreads on its own.
Cook on a medium heat until the base turns firm.
Flip it and cook until it is cooked properly.
Remove to a serving plate.
To make next pancake, grease the pan if not using a nonstick pan.
Continue making all the pancakes and stack them.
Serve eggless pancakes with your favorite toppings like maple syrup, chocolate sauce, jam or whipped cream.
Using warm or room temperature milk helps to mix the flour easily. Cold milk often leads to lumps in the batter. To break the lumps we end up over mixing the batter and the pancakes may turn flat.
How to make eggless pancake recipe with wheat flour
1. Melt butter. I have melted it in a pan. Or You can add butter to a mixing bowl and microwave for 20 to 30 seconds on high. You can just use oil instead of butter. Coconut oil works well.
2. Warm the milk. I added milk to the same pan. Or You can pour to the mixing bowl and microwave for 30 seconds on high. For ease I have just added it to the same pan.
3. Add sugar. Turn off the stove when the mixture turns warm or at least at room temperature.
4. Mix everything together. Make sure butter has completely melted and milk is not cold. It has to be at least at room temperature or warm. Adding flour to cold milk may make the batter lumpy. To breakup the lumps, we may overmix the batter resulting in dense & flat pancakes.
5. Place a sieve over the pan. Add flour.
6. Add baking powder. Skip this if you are using self raising flour.
7. Add cinnamon powder. Please use true cinnamon or ceylon cinnamon and not cassia. You can also skip this and add vanilla extract to the milk.
8. Add a generous pinch of salt. Skip this if using unsalted butter.
9. Give a quick mix with a spoon. Then sieve the flour to the milk.
10. Begin to mix gently with a spatula or whisk just until combined. Do not over mix. Few small lumps are okay.
11. The batter has to be thick but of pouring consistency. If there is not enough moisture the pancakes may turn dense. If the batter looks too thick, then add 2 to 3 tbsps of warm milk. I did not add extra milk but this depends on the kind of flour. Atta with more bran will need more milk / moisture.
12. Grease the pan and heat it. The pan has to be moderately hot enough otherwise the pan cakes will not turn fluffy. If the pan is too hot, pancakes will brown at the bottom too quickly. So regulate the flame as needed.
13. Give a gentle stir to the batter. Pour one ladle full of batter to the pan.
14. Do not spread the batter. It spreads on its own.
15. When the base is firm, flip it and cook.
16. Remove them to a serving plate and stack them.
Serve eggless pancakes with your favourite toppings. Maple syrup, chocolate sauce, honey, fruit jam , whipped cream and fruits go well as topping.