Fried onions recipe for hyderabadi biryani with step by step photos. Crispy fried onions used for biryani are called as beresta. Hyderabadi biryani or a dum biryani is incomplete without crispy fried onions. These are used for garnishing as well for cooking too especially for dum biryanis, these can also be used to make baked curries like baked chicken curry or potato curry.
Fried onions are full of flavor and enhance the biryani to a great extent. They are available in the food stores too but they are dehydrated ones and not deep fried.
If you find deep fried ones, you can use them. But the aroma of the freshly fried onions brings in a lot of flavor to the Biryani.
To make them crisp they can be fried with some dry flour sprinkled on them. Corn flour works the best.
Use large onions that are fresh. You can use the left over oil after frying onions for making biryani or for dosa. Discard it if you are worried about the health impacts of reusing oil that has been used for deep fry.
one large onion would be sufficient to make biryani for 2 cups rice. You can make beresta in large quantity and store them in glass jar to retain the aroma and crispness.
You can use beresta to make
Fried onions recipe for hyderabadi biryani
- 1 large onion
- Corn flour as needed
- Wash and peel the skin of onions.
- Cut onions into thin slices and ensure they are almost of same thickness.
- Sprinkle corn flour on the slices and toss them.
- Heat oil in a deep pan till hot.
- Reduce the flame to medium. Add few onion slices at one time and deep fry until crisp.
- Transfer them to an absorbent paper. Cool them completely and store in a airtight jar.
How to make crispy fried onions recipe for hyderabadi biryani
1. Wash, peel and slice onion to thin slices.
2. Sprinkle corn flour. Toss them.
3. Fry in hot oil until golden.
4. Drain on a kitchen tissue. Cool fried onions and store in a air tight steel or glass jar.