Garlic mushroom recipe – This hot & spicy garlic mushrooms go good with just any thing plain rice, inside a sandwich bread or wrap, fried rice, noodles or serve as a starter. Made with very few ingredients and tastes super delicious. We love dry mushroom recipes as they are simple to prepare and taste great since they are cooked in their own moisture without the addition of water. This also goes good in the lunch box.
This recipe is roughly adapted from this garlic chicken. The recipe requires making a quick garlic sauce and then sauteing the mushrooms in it. Towards the end you can even add some cooked rice or noodles and even make spicy mushroom fried rice or mushroom garlic noodles. This recipe is kids’ friendly too, just adjust the red chilies.
Garlic mushroom recipe
Garlic mushroom recipe in 15 mins | Spicy hot garlic mushrooms recipe
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- 1½ cup chopped mushrooms
- ½ cup finely chopped onions
- ½ tsp cumin/ jeera or 1 strand of mace / javitri
- 1 to 2 tbsp oil (prefer olive oil)
For the garlic sauce or paste
- 5 large garlic cloves or minced(if using small, use more)
- 5 dried red chilies or chilli powder as needed (less spicy variety)
- ¾ tbsp. Vinegar (can use apple cider vinegar)
- ½ tsp sugar (prefer organic)
- salt to taste
- 1 to 2 tbsps water
- ¼ tsp red chili powder (less spicy one for color, so optional)
- Onions rings or wedges
- coriander leaves
How to make the recipe
Make a paste of all the ingredients mentioned under garlic paste. You can also skip blending and mix up red chili powder, minced garlic and rest of the ingredients with water as needed. Set aside.
Heat a pan with oil. When the oil is hot enough, Add mace or cumin. Wait for 30 seconds, add onions and saute until golden.
Add in the garlic sauce and saute for 2 to 3 mins without burning. Make sure the raw smell of garlic has gone and the mixture turns aromatic.
Add mushrooms and saute for 2 to 3 mins.
Cover and cook on a medium to low heat until the mushrooms are cooked completely.
Transfer to a serving plate and garnish with coriander leaves and onions.
How to make garlic mushroom – step by step photos
1. Add red chilies, garlic, salt, sugar, vinegar or lemon juice to a blender jar. You may deseed the red chilies, but we love the half crushed seeds in this, so I did not deseed them. For a cut short method, you can also skip blending and make a paste using red chili powder, minced garlic and the rest of the ingredients with water as needed.
2. Blend them together with just 1 to 2 tbsps water. You must get a slightly coarse thick paste. You can also add little chilli powder for color, i used about ¼ tsp.
3. Heat a pan with oil. Add a single strand of mace or half tsp cumin. Saute for 30 seconds. Add finely chopped onions. Saute until they turn lightly golden. While the onions fry, you can wash and chop or slice the mushrooms.
4. Then add the garlic paste.
5. Saute very well on a low to medium flame for 2 to 3 mins. Make sure the raw smell of garlic has gone completely.
6. Add chopped mushrooms.
7. Mix well to coat the mushrooms with garlic sauce. Fry for about 3 mins, till you begin to smell the mushrooms good.
8. Cover and cook until the mushrooms are cooked. Do not over cook the texture changes.
9. You can add few coriander leaves. You can also add in some cooked noodles or al dente cooked rice and saute for few minutes.
Serve as a starter or with bread, roti or plain rice.