Gongura chicken fry is a simple recipe made using chicken and red sorrel leaves known as gongura in telugu. Unlike the gongura chicken curry, this is a dry chicken recipe that can be prepared quickly. It pairs wonderfully well with plain steamed rice and a bowl of rasam.
Gongura chicken fry tastes slight hot, spicy and tangy. Some variety of gongura is very sour, so adjust the quantity of leaves to be used.
Recipe of gongura chicken fry below
- 2 sprigs of curry leaves
- ¼ tsp garam masala (adjust as needed)
- pinch of cumin
- 1 cup of gongura leaves
- 2 to 3 green chilies
- 1 tsp oil
- few tbsp. of ghee for frying chicken
- 300 gram of chicken
- 1 medium sized onion coarsely ground
- ½ tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp ghee
- ¼ tsp red chili powder
- ¼ tsp coriander powder or garam masala powder
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- Marinate the chicken with the marination ingredients and set aside for 10 mins
- Heat a pan with 1 tsp oil, sauté gongura leaves well till they wilt off fully. set aside to cool.
- Once cool, add green chilies and grind coarsely
- Cook the chicken till tender. if needed add few tsp. of water. But at the end no water should be left. if left, evaporate
- Heat a pan with ghee, add curry leaves and cumin, sauté till they crackle
- Add chicken, garam masala and fry till almost dry.
- Add gongura paste and fry till no moisture is left in the leaves and gongura must cling on to the chicken.
- Serve gongura chicken fry with plain rice and rasam.