Hyderabadi biryani recipe – Hyderabadi cuisine is very popular for its aromatic dum biryani mostly made with mutton. In the recent decades, since most people limit their in take of mutton due to high fats, hyderabadi biryani is commonly made with chicken. One can even find vegetarian versions of this delicious aromatic dum cooked rice.
I am sharing a restaurant style chicken dum biryani roughly adapted from vahchef’s popular video. One of the most easiest, outstanding and most delicious hyderabadi biryani recipe that I have tried so far. I have shared many kinds of chicken biryani recipes, each with their own special taste. But this is unique for its aroma that comes from the freshly ground spices.
Rose water, kewra/ kewda water and dagad phool are the main aromatic ingredients used in this meat hyderabadi biryani recipe. If you are a beginner and looking for a restaurant style fail proof recipe, then you may try this recipe.
Hyderabadi biryani recipe card below.
Hyderabadi biryani recipe | restaurant style chicken dum biryani
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
biryani masala to powder
- 1 star anise / biryani flower
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp. jeera / cumin (optional)
- 3 to 4 pepper corn / kali mirch
- ½ tsp. stone flower / dagad phool
- 3 to 4 green cardamoms / choti elaichi
- ¾ tbsp. coriander seeds / sabut daniya
- 1 strand of Mace / javitri
- ½ tsp. shahi jeera / caraway seeds
- 4 cloves / lavang
- 2 inch cinnamon stick / dalchini
- Biryani masala powder from above
- ¾ tbsp. ginger garlic paste
- ¾ tbsp. red chili powder / lal mirch powder
- ⅛ tsp. turmeric / haldi
- 2 medium onions fried to brown (set aside half for garnishing)
- 750 grams chicken
- ½ cup + 2 tbsp yogurt
- 3 slit green chilies
- Handful pudina or mint leaves finely chopped
- Handful coriander leaves/ daniya finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- ¾ tsp. rose water
- ¾ tsp. kewra water
For cooking biryani rice
- Salt as needed
- 2 cups of aged basmathi rice
- 1 tsp oil
- ½ tsp shahi jeera / caraway seeds
- 3 to 4 green cardamoms/ elaichi
- 1 bay leaf / tej patta
- 3 to 4 cloves/ lavang
- 2 small cinnamon / dalchini sticks
- 8 to 10 cups of water
- 3 tbsp. Ghee (onion fried oil can be used)
- Pinch of saffron soaked in hot milk
- Few fried onions
- Mint and coriander leaves few
How to make the recipe
Make a fine powder of the ingredients mentioned under biryani masala.
Mix all the marinade ingredients along with the biryani masala powder. Check the salt and spice by tasting it. Then add chicken and marinate. Marinate for at least 2 hours, overnight works best. If resting for longer than an hour, refrigerate the chicken.
Wash rice few times until the water runs clear. Then soak it for 30 mins.
Slice onions and deep fry or shallow fry them to brown in ghee. You can also use store bought ones.
Add the spices, oil and salt to rice. Bring to a boil. Drain the rice and cook the rice on a medium high flame until ¾th done. You must be able to get a bite into the rice. Drain it completely.
Soak saffron in little milk and set aside along with ghee used for frying onions.
Bring the marinade to room temperature by keeping it out while you begin to cook the rice.
Transfer it to a heavy bottom pot or a baking dish if making in an oven.
Layer the rice over the chicken. Add fried onions, saffron milk, ghee, kewra and rose water.
Cover with a foil. Place a tight lid. If cooking on stove top, cover the pan with thick moist cloth and then place the lid. You can also seal with chapatti dough.
Dum cooking hyderabadi biryani on a stove top:
Place an old dosa tawa on the stove and heat it. On another burner first 5 mins cook on a medium high flame directly on the stove. Later move to a hot tawa (griddle) and cook for 30 mins on a low flame.
If making hyderabadi biryani in oven:
Preheat the oven to 200 c and bake for 30 to 40 mins. The time can vary depending on how deep your bowl is. Check after 30 mins to prevent over cooking. If it is still moist at the bottom, you can continue to cook for another 10 mins.
Serve hyderabadi chicken biryani hot with raita or shorva.
How to make hyderabadi chicken biryani recipe
1. Add lemon juice and turmeric to washed and drained chicken.
2. Add all the rest of the ingredients mentioned under marinade to a bowl. Mix them and taste it to check the salt and spic. If needed adjust them. Then add them to the chicken and marinate.
3. The consistency will be like this. Cover and rest it for at least 2 hours to overnight. The longer it is rested the more juicy and soft the meat turns. Refrigerate it until used.
4. Deep fry the onions in ghee or use store bought fried onions.
5. Soak saffron in hot milk and set aside along with ghee used for frying onions.
6. Wash rice few times till the water runs clear to remove the starch. Soak for at least 30 mins in ample water. While you soak the rice, bring the chicken to room temperature by keeping it out of the fridge.
7. Bring water to a boil along with spices and oil in a large pot.
8. Add salt.The water must be slightly salty.
9. Drain the rice and add it to the boiling water.
10. Cook on a medium high heat until 75% or 3/4 th cooked. The rice must be firm and you must feel the bite when you eat it.
11. Drain it to a colander.
12. Immediately layer it over the chicken marinade. Add fried onions, mint, coriander, kewra, rose water, saffron milk and milk.
13. Seal the pot with foil and then a tight lid. You can also use chapati dough made from 2 cups of atta or maida. Seal the lid by placing around the rim. For the dum process please follow the instructions mentioned in recipe card above.
Garnish Hyderabadi biryani with coriander leaves and serve with raita.