Hyderabadi chicken biryani recipe. Learn how to make chicken hyderabadi biryani in a dum style. Making a good hyderabadi chicken biryani is very simple and this recipe is perfect for a home preparation. This is easier than any chicken dum biryani since it needs no sauteing of spices or meat. Just marinate the meat with the spices & other ingredients. Layer partially cooked basmati rice over it. Cook on a slow dum process, trapping the steam to retain the aroma.
To get an authentic flavor and taste of Biryani, do use all the mentioned ingredients and if desired can substitute ghee for oil.
This is one of the best hyderabadi chicken biryani recipe I have made for years and has been a favorite among the readers of this blog. It is very easy and even a beginner can try without any troubles.
This is a kacchi chicken biryani, meaning partially cooked rice is layered over the marinated raw meat. To make the best out of this recipe, chicken needs a proper marination which mainly helps to tenderize it, resulting in juicy, flavorful, soft and tender chicken. It can be marinated the previous night and refrigerated to make the best flavorful biryani.
Video of hyderabadi biryani recipe
Hyderabadi chicken biryani recipe
Hyderabadi chicken biryani recipe | How to make chicken biryani recipe
Hyderabadi chicken biryani recipe made with basmathi rice and chicken marinated in spices. This recipe yields a delicious, flavorful biryani with soft juicy tender chicken.
- 1 ½ cups aged basmati rice (soaked for 30 mins, drain & set aside)
- ½ kg chicken (or 500 to 600 grams or 1 lb bone-in or boneless)
- ¼ to ½ tsp. biryani masala powder for sprinkling in between layers
- Fried onions from 1 large onion (Learn to make Fried Onions for Hyderabadi Recipes )
- Handful coriander leaves (or dhaniya patta ,finely chopped)
- Handful mint leaves (or pudina, finely chopped)
- 3 to 4 tbsp. Oil (or ghee)
- 2 tbsps ghee (or clarified butter)
- ¼ tsp saffron strands (or kesar, soaked in 3 tbsps. hot milk)
Marination for hyderabadi chicken biryani recipe
- 1¼ tbsp. ginger garlic paste (or adrak lahsun paste)
- ¼ tsp turmeric (or haldi)
- 1 to 2 green chilies slit (adjust to suit your taste)
- ½ cup + 3 tbsp. yogurt or fresh curd (or 165 ml or 2/3 cup)
- 2 tbsps. Lemon juice (adjust)
- 1 ½ tsp Kashmiri or byadgi red chili powder (1 tsp is moderate)
- 1 to 1 ½ tsp biryani masala powder (1 tsp is moderate)
- ¼ to ½ tsp green cardamom powder (or elaichi powder)
- ¾ tsp Salt (I used 1 ¼ tsp pink salt)
Dry Spices for rice
- 6 to 7 cups water
- 1 tsp oil
- 2 small strands of mace (or javitri)
- 1 black cardamom (or badi elaichi)
- 4 green cardamom (elaichi)
- 3 inch cinnamon stick (or dalchini)
- 6 cloves (or laung)
- 1 large or 2 small bay leaf (or tej patta)
- ½ tsp caraway seeds (or shahi jeera)
- 1 star anise ( biryani flower)
- 1 to 1 ¼ tsp salt (I used 1 ½ tsp pink salt)
- Add yogurt, salt, turmeric, chili powder, biryani masala, coriander powder, green chilli, ginger garlic paste and lemon juice to a mixing bowl. Mix well and taste this. If needed add more salt or spice to suit your taste.
Marinate chicken with the prepared marinade.
Set aside for at least 2 hrs. Overnight is best. To get really juicy and soft chicken, it is highly suggested to keep it marinated for overnight in the fridge.
This step is optional. Tie up all the dry spices for rice in a muslin cloth. Set this aside.
Wash rice till the water runs clear. Soak for 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
Heat 6 to 7 cups water in a pot to cook rice. Add 1 tsp oil, dry spices and salt. Taste this. The water has to be slightly salty.
Let the water boil rapidly for 5 mins, this way the aroma released is best.
- Add the soaked rice and cook till it is ¾ done. The center of the rice must be still slightly uncooked. Remember this is very important. Do not make the rice mushy. Drain off the rice to a colander.
Making chicken biryani
- While the rice cooks, transfer the marinated chicken to a heavy bottom casserole, handi or non-stick pan.
Add fried onions, ½ of the pudina/ mint, coriander leaves. Pour in the oil. Mix well and level the surface. Chicken must be in a single layer and evenly spreaded.
- Layer the cooked rice evenly, add fried onions, mint and coriander leaves over the chicken.
Sprinkle ¼ tsp biryani masala powder.
- Repeat steps of layering rice, coriander mint leaves and then fried onions.
- Pour the saffron milk all over.
Cover the rim of the casserole with foil to trap the dum or steam. You can also use a cloth to cover. Rinse a thick kitchen cloth and squeeze off the excess water. It must be just moist and not with dripping water. Make a double layer. Spread this cloth over the rim. Cover with a tight & heavy lid.
- Place this over a thick hot tawa or griddle. Set the flame to medium high such that the flame reaches all over the diameter of the casserole. Cook this way for exactly 20 mins. After 20 mins, if you have a see thru lid you can see the vapour filled.
Now reduce the flame to min (as low as in Indian stoves or burners, where the flame barely touches tawa/ griddle). Cook this way for exactly 15 mins. You can see the vapour dripping on the moist cloth. Off the flame and leave it as it is for at least 20 to 30 mins.
- Garnish chicken biryani with fresh chopped coriander leaves and serve with raita.
If you chicken is too moist, then cook it further for 5 o 7 mins the same way we did earlier.
How to make hyderabadi chicken biryani recipe
1. To a mixing bowl, add yogurt, salt, red chili powder, biryani masala, turmeric, green chili, ginger garlic paste and cardamom powder. Do not use sour curd.
2. Add lemon juice. If your curd is even slightly sour, them just skip lemon juice.
3. Taste the marinade. Add more salt if needed.
4. Marinate the chicken.
5. Allow it to sit for overnight in the fridge or for at least 2 hours.
6. Keeping overnight makes the chicken very soft once the biriyani is cooked. If you are marinating it just for 2 hours, I suggest keeping the pieces to small to medium and not very large.
7. Soak saffron in 3 tbsps hot milk. Do this just before you soak the rice.
8. Wash rice at least thrice. Do note that biryani turns out good only with aged premium quality basmati rice.
9. Soak for 30 to 40 mins. Refer to the rice pack for soaking time.
10. Drain after 30 to 40 mins. Set this aside.
11. Add dry spices to a pot of boiling water along with 1 tsp oil. You can add the dry spices to a muslin cloth and make a knot if you don’t like to get a bite of the spices. Allow the water to simmer for 5 mins. Then bring it to a rapid boil.
12. Add soaked rice.
13. Cook on a medium high till rice is ¾ th cooked.
14. The rice must be grainy and you must get a bite into it meaning it has to be slightly under cooked. If you are a beginner, please take a look at this detailed post on how to cook basmati rice for biryani.
15. Drain the rice to a colander.
16. While the water for rice boils, add the chicken marinade to a heavy bottom pot. I used my 6½ ltrs heavy bottom pressure cooker pan. Sprinkle fried onions, coriander and mint leaves. Add oil and mix it.
17. Level the chicken to spread it in a single uniform layer.
18. Layer the rice over the chicken. The rice must be moist and not with dripping water. It should not be dry either. Add fried onions, mint and coriander leaves. Sprinkle biryani masala.
19. Layer the rice again.
20. Sprinkle fried onions, mint and coriander leaves and biryani masala. Pour the saffron milk.
21. Add ghee.
22. Method 1 – You can use either moist cloth or foil to seal the rim of the biryani pot. The cloth has to be thick and moist. Spread it over the rim. Place a heavy lid and bring the edges of the cloth to the center. (refer video for details)
23. Method 2 – Use a foil to seal the rim completely. Or make dough and stick to the rim of the pot. Place a heavy lid.
24. Place a old tawa or griddle on the stove. The flame has to be medium high. Do not use a non stick pan or a dosa tawa. I used my lodge cast iron pan which doesn’t work for making dosa. The flame has to reach across the diameter of the pan.
25. Place the biryani pot on the tawa. Cook on a medium high flame for 15 to 20 mins. Then Lower the flame to very low and cook for another 15 minutes. Switch off the stove and let it rest for sometime.
26. Fluff up the rice gently.
you can find raita recipes here
you can also find easy biryani gravy recipes.
Serve chicken biryani in layers with shorba or raita.
Hope you liked the hyderabadi chicken biryani recipe.