Hyderabadi mutton biryani recipe – Learn how to make mutton biryani in kachi dum style with step by step pictures. Adding one more delicious dish to this collection of Ramadan recipes. To make this hyderabadi biryani, lamb meat is marinated and rested for few hours and layered with half cooked rice. Sealed with dough and then dum cooked on a very low heat. During the dum process, steam or dum released helps to cook the meat and the half cooked rice. Aromatic, soft tender chunks of meat and rice infused with the flavors of spices is surely outstanding.
It took several years for to me arrive at this fail proof recipe which is roughly adapted from the kachi chicken biriyani which i shared years ago. To get the best out of this recipe, do follow the recipe as it is without any modifications including the size of the meat chunks and the time mentioned for dum cooking.
In any meat based dish, the cooked meat should be soft and must turn tender. In this recipe the key is to marinate well for overnight to yield really soft tender chunks. Also the quality of meat matters a lot. Make sure you use fresh good quality mutton that is tender.
You may also like to check this collection of 35 biryani recipes.
Find Complete Hyderabadi mutton biryani recipe below
- ½ kg meat (500 grams) can use up to 600 grams
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- Salt as needed (I used half tsp)
- 1 cup curd
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 ½ tsp red chili powder
- 2 green chilies chopped
- ½ of fried onions from 1 large onion
- ½ tsp biryani masala
- 4 green cardamoms
- 4 cloves
- 2 – 2 inch cinnamon sticks
- ½ tsp shahi jeera
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 strand mace
- 1 black cardamom
- Fistful of chopped coriander leaves
- Firstful of chopped mint leaves
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 large onion sliced fried onions
- ¼ cup ghee for frying onions and topping
- 2 cups rice (about 400 grams)
- Salt as needed
- ¼ tsp saffron soaked in 3 tbsp of milk
- ¼ tsp biryani masala for sprinkling
- Handful of mint
- Handful of coriander
- 2 cups of plain flour - maida or atta for sealing
- Please follow the step by step photo instructions for preparation and cooking.
How to make mutton dum biryani with step by step photo
1. Wash mutton cleanly. Drain off water completely. Make sure the mutton pieces are just about 1 to 1 ½ inch cubes. This recipe may not work if you go ahead with bigger size pieces. Add ginger garlic paste,salt, turmeric, biryani masala and red chilli powder. I used this homemade biryani masala. You can also use this garam masala.
2. Add fresh yogurt/ curd, fried onions and spices. Cinnamon,cloves, bay leaf, shahi jeera / black cumin, black cardamom, mace and green cardamom. You can use either store bought fried onions or make fried onions from this post.
3. Add chopped coriander,mint leaves, chopped green chilies and lemon juice.
4. Add 1 tbsp oil.
5. Mix everything well. If you have raw papaya paste you can use 2 tsps and get to cooking just after 45 mins. If not using raw papaya then cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours to overnight. The longer you allow it to rest the better the results are. To make fried onions, heat ¼ cup of ghee and fry thin slices from 1 large onion. When they turn brown, set them aside. You will be left with 2.5 tbsp ghee. One tbsp will be used for the meat later and 1.5 tbsp will be used for topping after diluting with hot rice cooked water.
6. Use aged good quality basmathi rice. Wash several times until the water runs clear. Soak it for at least 30 to 40 mins. Keep the mutton out of the fridge. It is good to bring it to room temperature before we begin to cook it. For at least 40 to 60 mins.
7. Bring water to a boil in a large pot. Add salt as needed.
8. Add bay leaf, shahi jeera, star anise and cardamom.
9. When the water comes to a boil, add drained rice.
10. Rice must be half cooked for this recipe. This is very important. When you bite the rice, you should feel that is under cooked.
11. Drain it off to a colander. Set aside little rice cooked water.
12. Heat up milk and soak saffron. Melt the ghee.
13. Add 1 tbsp ghee to the pot. Mix it well.
14. Layer the cooked rice. Pour the saffron milk.
15. Mix 2 tbsp rice cooked water with ghee and pour it over the rice. Do not add ghee directly here.
16. Sprinkle coriander, mint leaves and fried onions.
17. Make a dough of atta or plain flour. Set aside a lemon sized ball. Using the rest place it around the rim of the pot.
18. Place a lid and knock it a few times to hold it tightly. Make sure it is air tight. Transfer this pot over a hot tawa / griddle. Cook for 45 mins on a low heat.
19. During this process make sure the steam doesn’t escape. You will need to patch up with some dough which we set aside earlier. Allow to rest for a while.
Serve the bottom and the top layers together. Serve with raita. You can find raita recipes here.